GP32 Better Image Viewer (ATTN: NiN^_^NiN)

unit3

Website
demoni.ca
Hey NiN, I saw your posts regarding wanting to open your digital camera's files on your GP32...

I was planning on attempting a port of libgd (opensource image file reading/writing library that handles just about every 2d file format) once I get my GP32 next week. If I can get a port done without too much trouble, I'll write a little image viewer that uses it to display any sized image on the GP32.

Basically, for JPEGs at least since they store the image in 8x8 blocks, you should be able to load an initial chunk of the image, antialias that to the display buffer, then load the next chunk. Set aside like 2MB of RAM to load chunks, and you should be able to display any arbitrarily large image. Then, when you select a section to zoom in on, you should be able to seek in the image file to the point you want, and just load that data.

If anyone can think of reasons why this wouldn't work, I'd love to hear it before I actually get started. ;)

Oh yeah, and I was going to ask what other features this image viewer should have, since it'll basically open any image file libgd supports...

I'm assuming we'll want some sort of slideshow, where you point it at a directory and use the left and right arrows to move back and forth between images.

I haven't looked at how you tell the GP32 what clockspeed to use, but I'm thinking that it'd be nice to have it clock up to 100-133Mhz when uncompressing the image, and then clock down to like 10-40Mhz when waiting for user input... that way, it loads images really fast, but shouldn't suck back the batteries as much. Is this doable?

Any other "must have" features for a generic image viewing app?

I haven't looked at how you tell the GP32 what clockspeed to use, but I'm thinking that it'd be nice to have it clock up to 100-133Mhz when uncompressing the image, and then clock down to like 10-40Mhz when waiting for user input... that way, it loads images really fast, but shouldn't suck back the batteries as much.
This is a common technique that also works very well on the GP32, the GP32 has just one command to set the clockspeed.

VirtuaLeech posted on Aug 8 2003 said:
This is a common technique that also works very well on the GP32, the GP32 has just one command to set the clockspeed.
Well that's handy. :)

I've been messing around trying to get libjpeg ported (since zlib and libpng already are, and once the 3 of them are done I can work on libgd), but the configure script apparently hates the Debian cross compiling tools, it claims they are broken and can't produce executables. Which means I'll probably have to redo the makefiles by hand using trial and error. *sigh*

So, on that line of thinking, I'm seeing the following warning:
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/arm-thumb-elf/3.2.1/crt0.o does not support interworking, whereas cjpeg does

Any idea what this means, and if it's serious?

Oh yeah, and can anyone point me at an example of how to build a library for use with the GP32? The examples that come with the cross-dev kit are only for ELF executables.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is it going to work that u just take ur card out ur camera and slot it into the gp? The camera we use needs the card to be formatted correctly, like the gp.

Dozer posted on Aug 8 2003 said:
How is it going to work that u just take ur card out ur camera and slot it into the gp? The camera we use needs the card to be formatted correctly, like the gp.
That's true, but from what I've read the GP32 uses FAT12 of FAT16 formatting, which is the same as a lot of cameras. So, it should be able to read it fine. You'd just need to put the image viewer app on the same card you use in your digital camera.

SWEET!!!! *dances around like a gimp* :blink:

Um yeah thats great the only features would be a slideshow maybe a file manager (the COMI filemanager source code is available) and the best thing would be delete

all other additions would be great but i dont think i know of anythin else that i would need but its nice to have features :)

Dozer

I just put my smc card into the gp32 set it to format to the gp32 shuved free launcher onto it and a image viewer

then i took it to my cam took pics then went to the dir with the images only problem was they were to small (its a 2.1mp camera) but if i take low quality and med i could see the pictures easily :)

My camera supports 8.3 format and thats what the picture names come out as and it all works good be cool if it could watch my movie files 2 fromt he camera :D but nah it wouldnt and the camera uses a codec that no1 has heard about :\ still thats great news :)

Another guy is working on a image viewer and will have that finished pretty soon he told me it supports the image size i quoted so thats cool you might wanna talk to him and see how he did it.

A all in 1 image/filemanager/audio player would be cool maybe not mp3 but mod ^^

:ph34r:

Cab posted on Aug 9 2003 said:
Hmm, so we have some More competition ;)
Heh... not competition so much as more variety. IMO the more software that's available, the better off we all are as users of the system. So bring on the developers! ;)

yaaay :lol:

so........any betas ready to be tryed :D hehe

Also a good idea would be to use the image viewer and make it as a manga viewer i dont remember who had the idea but it be cool you only need to make the menu diff and read from zips if possible.

But thats if you would like to try it :)

NiN^_^NiN posted on Aug 11 2003 said:
so........any betas ready to be tryed :D hehe
Hahahaha not yet! libjpeg is being a bitch to port, so I'm still fighting with that... also, I'm unsure of how to link libraries for use with the GP32, so any advice from other developers on that would be much appreciated! :)

NiN^_^NiN posted on Aug 11 2003 said:
Also a good idea would be to use the image viewer and make it as a manga viewer i dont remember who had the idea but it be cool you only need to make the menu diff and read from zips if possible.
Aren't mangas just ordinary images? well reading from zip-files isn't that hard but it would be a future feature if implemented at all. :blink:

// Cab

I don't get the point in any app like that when it can have more features (talking about the manga viewer not slander if misunderstood)

:ph34r: huuujja!

// Cab

I would love an image viewer like that for viewing/deleting photos I've taken on my digital camera. (I go on holiday on the 23rd so it'd be amazing if one was created before then, I'd probably weep openly with joy)

Keep up the good work guys!

If 1 of these guys do get a image viewer out that doesn't support deleting files just use comi file manager to delete :)

Also you guys might liek to note that comi has its source code released so you could even make a all in 1 windoze type of explorer with mod mp3 and image support for windups maybe?

NiN^_^NiN posted on Aug 12 2003 said:
Also you guys might liek to note that comi has its source code released so you could even make a all in 1 windoze type of explorer with mod mp3 and image support for windups maybe?
I'm thinking this might be the way to go. The next release of SDL is going to have OGG, MIDI, and JPEG support in it, so I'm looking at using SDL for my app instead. I'll make it an image viewer at first, and tack on music playing ability after if possible.

We'll see though, since my GP32 still hasn't been delivered, so I haven't had a chance to test anything yet. My code may not work at all. ;)

Hi again guys,

I'm a little stressed because I'm moving to a new apartment before september + I'm taking my driver's license atm. Then there is another problem, I can't get in touch with behringer, I think he might be sick or something. Hopefully I'll know more tommorow... :huh:

so sorry if this is taking a "little" longer than I promised but we are still on it :D

cheers

// Cab

Back