Black stripes & clipping errors in 3D/OpenGL games

dimag0g

Very Active Member
Hello all,

I installed a several 3D action games on my pandora 1GHz unit, and I'm experiencing what seems to be clipping / Z-buffer errors (although I'm not an expert here). The games affected include descent 1&2 rebirth, DoomRunner, but not Eduke32, which doesn't support hardware accelerated graphics yet.

Here are some screenshots I made in D1X Rebirth v. 0.57.3:

130221-015257.png

As you can see, there are ugly black stripes all over the screen, plus the PTMC screen can be seen through the wall, right under the game's aiming cursor.

Here are some more which I made in windowed mode:

130221-015621.png        130221-015659.png

As you can see, there are the same black stripes (on the left screenshot) and clipping errors (on the right, the Red door can be seen through the wall). I also opened the system monitor in background to show that I'm playing on the safe side regarding CPU frequency.

Does anybody know what could cause such faulty rendering? I'd love to do a few hardware hacks with my unit, but I want to make sure the hardware is sane before I void my warranty...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to report that the issue can be fixed in original D1X and a lot of other GLES games by installing appropriate SGX driver. In my case (1GHz unit), the best driver is 4.03.00.02. Hope this helps

Back