Bricked? Caanoo

HamishTPB

Hi all

I was doing a firmware update and lost power (yes, I know I should have had it plugged in!). Since then the caanoo won't power up or show any sign of life except the charging light comes on if I plug it in. I have looked all around this forum and the Internet in general and I can't find a solution. I tried to contact the service centre in Germany but they seem to have gone along with GPH support.

If anyone can save me and my Caanoo I would be very grateful.

UPDATE: I got a reply from an enquiry to Evildragon @ GP2X.de and it looks like I am out of luck. I will keep trying to re-flash it "blind" otherwise it is spares for when I can afford a new one. That will put me back 30% from getting a Pandora.

Hamish The PolarBear said:
If anyone can save me and my Caanoo I would be very grateful.

I thought I saw somewhere something related to such case once, but I can´t remember.
No one knows how?

Last edited by a moderator:
Akabei said:
The customer services reflashed the caanoos, but are there still any of them?

I guess Ed does, but is it impossible to do home? (I guess not).

Edit:.. ops! didn´t read the post before, sorry.

Does the Wiz recovery tool not work with the Caanoo? I will try to find a few minutes this weekend to see if I can get my Caanoo to boot over serial.

Orkie said:
Does the Wiz recovery tool not work with the Caanoo? I will try to find a few minutes this weekend to see if I can get my Caanoo to boot over serial.

Nice Orkie.

Well it is certainly possible (though a bit of a pain) to get the Caanoo to boot off UART. However, when I download a bootloader from a Caanoo firmware and tell it to run, nothing happens. I'm not sure I want to try to flash it without having had it boot from RAM first, so I shall have a bit more of a poke around and see if I can come up with anything.

Hi Orkie.

I keep checking back every now and again so if you do get any luck let me know and I will be forever in your debt.

Hamish

This may be worthless info but, I had thought I bricked my wiz a while back only to find out that it was because I was using an SDHC card. It was unable to boot but I managed to flash it anyways on a standard SD and it was as good as new. Firmware upgrades don't like SDHC.

Toy Box said:
This may be worthless info but, I had thought I bricked my wiz a while back only to find out that it was because I was using an SDHC card. It was unable to boot but I managed to flash it anyways on a standard SD and it was as good as new. Firmware upgrades don't like SDHC.
Thanks but I already tried standard SD as well, it seems the boot loader is gone.

Sorry to post in an old thread but I haven't seen any news.

I just thought I would check back to see if anyone had any updates (Orkie?) I looked at the Unbrick Your Wiz pdf but the hardware side of it is not something I am up to I don't think. If I knew for sure that it would work with the caanoo then I would risk butchering my TVout cable (I can't use the caanoo one because I don't have a spare) but I am far from confident in my soldering skills.

Back