Building A New Computer....

deadlychicken22

Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal
Website
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm looking into building a computer for less than $500 US including shipping and I've come here to ask for your advice and help. I've done some searching around online and come up with a list of parts I need and what I would like from them with links to an example of them from two different websites:

Motherboard:
I want it to be a socket 939 with pci-e and with support for at least 4GB RAM so that I have room to upgrade in the future. I would like it if the motherboard had integrated graphics because I plan on waiting a little while before getting a graphics card (an nvidia 6600 from a friend of mine).
TigerDirect - includes athlon 64 3200+ cpu, stand alone can be found HERE
NewEgg - a refurbished (and much cheaper) one can be found HERE

CPU:
athlon 64
TigerDirect - 3200+; includes a motherboard, stand alone can be found HERE
NewEgg - 3000+; is it worth the extra money to get a faster one such as THIS?

RAM:
at least 1GB to start with
TigerDirect
NewEgg - is Adata reliable?

Hardrive:
at least 80GB, 160GB+ prefered
TigerDirect - 160GB
NewEgg - 160GB or an 80GB HERE

Case:
black, sturdy
TigerDirect
NewEgg

PSU:
~500 watt, reliable
TigerDirect - my friend has this and it is VERY NICE
NewEgg - just choose one with good reviews... i'm not really sure what to look for in a power supply...

Drives:
DVD burner
TigerDirect
NewEgg - NEC drive; also a Sony one for the same price HERE

Have I forgotten anything? Is there anything obvious that I'm missing? Are the products I am looking at good? Can I trust the tigerdirect rebates?

Please look over this and tell me what you think I should do.

thanks,
-ben

iignotus posted on Apr 13 2006 at 08:22 PM said:
Still haven't decided?
no :p
I've been on vacation for the past week, just like I told you, and now I actually have to make a decision ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
http://shsc.info/BudgetPCPartsGuide
A bit outdated - but that means prices should be cheaper by now. By getting a budget processor you should be able to afford an entire PC w/ graphics card within $500. A few other things:

- don't get integrated graphics, that means you're basically paying for one and a half graphics cards, should you choose to upgrade later. Since you can get a 6600GT within $500, go for it now. edit: get your friend to sell his on ebay, it'll make more cash that way.

- 4GB ram? Are you doing heavy rendering or video editing? If you are, OK, but get an Intel processor as they're better for that stuff. If not, by the time games need 4GB you'll be on a dual core processor with a graphics card far better than a 6600GT. Even now I get by on 1GB; 2GB should be fine for the next 3-4 years.

- Power supply. A 500W is not always 'better' than a 350W - read http://shsc.info/PowerSupplyGuide/
Basically, I calculate that your PC requires around 11-12A on the '12V rail' (incl. graphics card). My 350W Antec PSU provides about 25A - so 500W might be overkill. On the other hand, it might be a cheap PSU with a large wattage but really low 12V amp. Therefore, you should find a quality PSU (the link has a list of good brands) that has a manufacturer's page that tells you the 12V rail so you can make sure it's a bit above what you need.

By getting a budget processor you should be able to afford an entire PC w/ graphics card within $500
I would like to get a socket 939 so that I can upgrade the processor to something much more powerful in the future.

don't get integrated graphics, that means you're basically paying for one and a half graphics cards, should you choose to upgrade later. Since you can get a 6600GT within $500, go for it now.
Would it be better to get a 6600GT to begin with, or to wait and buy a better card later?

4GB ram? Are you doing heavy rendering or video editing?
No
If not, by the time games need 4GB you'll be on a dual core processor with a graphics card far better than a 6600GT. Even now I get by on 1GB; 2GB should be fine for the next 3-4 years.
When I bought my last computer I thought that I would never need more than 1GB of RAM. Well, I now have 1GB of RAM and I cannot upgrade it any further without a new motherboard. I plan on upgrading the processor on this new computer in the future, along with getting more RAM and a better graphics card.

Power supply. A 500W is not always 'better' than a 350W - read http://shsc.info/PowerSupplyGuide/
Basically, I calculate that your PC requires around 11-12A on the '12V rail' (incl. graphics card). My 350W Antec PSU provides about 25A - so 500W might be overkill. On the other hand, it might be a cheap PSU with a large wattage but really low 12V amp. Therefore, you should find a quality PSU (the link has a list of good brands) that has a manufacturer's page that tells you the 12V rail so you can make sure it's a bit above what you need.
Looking at the power supply, it says that on the +12V it has 34A, so I guess it is overkill.

Thanks for the advice and links Rico, I will keep that in mind.

Ok, I have two more questions:

How important is a CPU fan/heatsink? Will any one do for normal use or should I get a more expensive/powerful one?

If I have wood floors in my house (where I will building the computer) how important is it that i get an anti-static wrist strap?

EDIT: would THIS ONE be fine?

I've never bothered with anti-static and nor do my more knowledgable (hardware-wise) friends, so I can't offer an opinion. As for heatsinks, AMD's stock heatsink and fan is very good. If you go OEM be prepared to pay £5-£10 for a decent one. Your choice should be fine if it fits the socket.

edit: As for your 6600 question, it's a pretty mid-range card now, might be best to go for a series 7 later.

Back