Buying a GP32 FLU soon!!

The Moose

Hey everyone. After about 4 months of browsing the sites and these boards, ive finally decided to join as a member. And while browsing, I have some questions that ive never seen asked or answered before...

1.) Are the buttons and Joypad on the GP unit rubberized (tactile/better grip) or are they hard plastic?

2.) Ive read around on official sites that the ext. port on the unit itself, can be used to hook the console up to a TV. Is this true, or something that was planned and never carried through?

3.) Overall, are these well made? Constructed tough? I remember in a past issue of Gamepro, they tested the GBA by dropping it on cement, into a toilet (and then flushing) leaving it out in the heat, etc. I suppose nobody has tested there $200 machine, but has anyone here hurt there precious GP32 any and have a good story?

Thanks for the help everyone, and I hope my stay here is long and prosperous! (count on it!)

1. Yes, lovely soft rubber........mmmmmm....... :)

2.In theroy, it could happen, but peoples homebrew results have been pathtic, so in practice, no.

3. The never GP32s are excelent qualtiy. Mine has dropped out of my pocket onto the pavemnet countless times, and it still works :)

GP32 feels a good bit cheaper than GBA. The battery cover on the back rattled when I would play so I stuck a tiny piece of foam back there to fill it out (problem solved).

Don't get me wrong, it's solid and feels fine. I mean, I wouldn't try smashing it with a hammer or backing my car over it, but it feels pretty durable enough (just gotta protect that screen!)

i guess now i shall ask...

Does the GP32, when you recieve it new, come with one of those little plastic lays on top of the screen? (like youd see on a new digital cameras screen) and maybe I havent looked hard enough, but is there a little slot for a wrist strap on the system itself?

Thanks for the replies everyone! I already feel at home!

Thought of some more questions:

I saw in my uncles laptop, a smc with a little switch to alternate between to, 128 mb data banks (sort of like those junk n64 multi mem packs) are these 3.3 volt, or better yet, are they compatible with the GP32?

Nextly, i suppose that an american, US, what ever we want to call it, AC adaptor, and dc/car adaptor will work for the GP32, as long as its 3.3 volt? ( i think thats it.) Any way, thanks for the help guys!.

1.) Are the buttons and Joypad on the GP unit rubberized (tactile/better grip) or are they hard plastic?

2.) Ive read around on official sites that the ext. port on the unit itself, can be used to hook the console up to a TV. Is this true, or something that was planned and never carried through?
Hi :)

I'm sure the joypad buttons are plastic, but they seem to be quite soft, I don't know. Never had any problems with them.

Also, I know that such an extension exists. fx-man owns one, one screenshot he posted lately shows a GP32 connected to a TV with a game visible on-screen. It was given to him at a show, I believe, so they are likely to only be available in limited numbers. Perhaps a European launch would foster up more interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the GP32, when you recieve it new, come with one of those little plastic lays on top of the screen? (like youd see on a new digital cameras screen) and maybe I havent looked hard enough, but is there a little slot for a wrist strap on the system itself?

I saw in my uncles laptop, a smc with a little switch to alternate between to, 128 mb data banks (sort of like those junk n64 multi mem packs) are these 3.3 volt, or better yet, are they compatible with the GP32?
1. Yes, it has a 'lay'. You can leave it on for quite a while without problems, I choose to leave it on as taking it off attracts some dust (mostly an FLU issue). No PSP-style wrist strap though.

2. The unit takes a single 3.3v SMC, including 128, 64, 32, 16 or 8 MB SMCs (probably others too). No support for the 5v SMCs that are larger, or CF.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back