Can It Run Xp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

twent4

Still Fresh
Now, before i get my butt bit out by everyone from Boston to Budapest for inquiring about such blasphemy, I'm just wondering if this is possible since i would be able to put my custom work-related image on the Pandora, rather than carrying around the bulky standard issue Dell lappy.

If not, how about win98 running under dosbox or something...? Got dosbox running on my P1i (ARM9 177Mhz), and it's powerful enough to handle duke3D or tyrian...

*edit: changed the and between duke and tyrian to an or

Last edited by a moderator:
XP doesn't run on ARM hardware.
I think someone ran win95 on dosbox on the Nokia tablets, but it's been so long ago since that particular thread that my memory is fuzzy.

It's possible to run Windows, but your best bet is to plan that Windows will not run on the Pandora, because of speed issues, until you or someone else actually tries to make it work.

A remote desktop would probably be faster, for example. :p

Additionally, please use the search function. This question has been asked a gazillion times (thus the frustration).

u may be able to run windows using bochs or something like you can on the gp2x but it will be too slow to use. the gp2x version took 6 mins to boot and once it had booted u couldnt do anything. the pandora maybe faster but it still will be too slow

It's been noted that it cannot and will not run a Windows OS in any usable sense.

If you want a Windows OS on a small, cheap , portable device you need to buy a proper netbook with an Intel Atom CPU.

You will be able to do much the same with such a netbook as you can with a Pandora, as far as running emulators goes. Battery life won't compare and nor will the 3D performance (i.e. Pandora wins on both counts). Infact, battery life will suck if you're playing SNES or PS1 games under emulation on an Atom-based netbook.

If you're not interested so much in the gaming side of things, you're possibly not reading the most suitable forum :)

This should be stated on the openpandora.org Q&A box, it is after all a question that is to be expected when your product looks like a miniature laptop.

This has been done to death. The short answer is "No". The long answer is "Almost certainly not, especially if you want to do more than just boot it and stare at the desktop."

No further discussion is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back