Can't Emulate? Lets Clone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordJohnnie

Still Fresh
Perhaps it is the word "emulation" that is the killer of this discussion and gives fuel to screamers of the word "NO." You all seem to be experts as to what the GP2X cannot do, but do any of you actually know what the GP2X can do?

An early reply to my notion that we can "clone" an N64 game was a regurgitated response, mumbled about the availablity of "source code" to allow for "porting" of a game. Emulated hardware works directly with the "source" of a rom and emulation developers reverse engineer both. Whats more available than that?

there is a link between the concept of dynamic recompilation and that of "cloning" or "porting" a game/engine/software.

I actually feel bad for the monkies that bang thier head against the wall over this, wearing T-shirts that say "N64 emulation = impossible." So, I'm going to point out that if the definition of "emulation" is the full and complete simulation of videogame/console hardware, then no, of course the GP2X cannot "emulate" the N64. However, if the definition of "emulation" is infact "the practical and satisfactory virtualization of a videogame/console" then the answer is Yes, the GP2X can emulate N64 games.

My suggestion is to use a kind of static recompilation (to steal the phrase from Emu&Co). To simplify the code in the rom so that it may run more "natively," allowing N64 games to be "emulated" using a simplified 3D engine. We would be essentially "porting" N64 games so they run natively on the GP2X.

A homebrew clone of the game would basically be the same thing, having the same look and feel as the original N64 game, but authenticity would be a huge undertaking without the use of precise recompilation of the rom's code.

Ya know, Personally I'd rather see N69 games being "emulated" on the GP2X.

You all seem to be experts as to what the GP2X cannot do, but do any of you actually know what the GP2X can do?
No offence but some people here actually have quite a bit of technical knowledge. Probably more than you.

Please let us know when you have this working. Remember to publish the source, for GPL's sake.

In the mean time, I'll stick with Atari2600 and Genesis games.

When you're as Fuggly as me, who needs friends?

And wow, I certainly do have a point, I just didn't want it barried in all the meaniness.

And technical knowledge does you a lot when you're biased and too lazy to think for yourself .

Morgoth posted on Mar 24 2006 at 04:25 PM said:
Please let us know when you have this working. Remember to publish the source, for GPL's sake.

In the mean time, I'll stick with Atari2600 and Genesis games.

:lol: Yeah, great project : let's emulate/clone N64 with the Stella2X engine :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
LordJohnnie posted on Mar 24 2006 at 03:20 PM said:
My suggestion is to use a kind of static recompilation (to steal the phrase from Emu&Co). To simplify the code in the rom so that it may run more "natively," allowing N64 games to be "emulated" using a simplified 3D engine. We would be essentially "porting" N64 games so they run natively on the GP2X.

A homebrew clone of the game would basically be the same thing, having the same look and feel as the original N64 game, but authenticity would be a huge undertaking without the use of precise recompilation of the rom's code.

Ya know, Personally I'd rather see N69 games being "emulated" on the GP2X.

Isnt that sorta, ya know, illegal? Unless you call it Bario 64?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for the sake of the N64: Please never try to emulate a game on a console only having a digital-joypad. That would kill every hardcore-gamers heart who is used to the best joystick ever made, the N64 controlers. And, did you read the GP2X specs which didn't have any 3D specific hardware listed? This is, your way or the oldfashioned emulating way, essential to emulating anything with a decent 3D hardware (e.g. the N64).
Just my $0.02...

the N64 joysticks sucked, the top was really rough and when playing games such as mario party, and having to mash the stick around in circles, it took skin off your hand.

Will a mod please lock this thread as there is zero reason for it to exist given LordJohnnie’s “Contributions” to the “Can We Get A N64 Emulator At All?” thread. I see no reason to merge this topic back into “Can We Get A N64 Emulator At All?” as it has absolutely no redeeming value, so a lock does seem like the correct action.

If you have a few million dollars lying around you might be able to lure a Nintendo programmer away from the company and pay him to do what you want. No coder/developer programming in his spare time will ever have the desire to do what you want, there is no money in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back