Castaway/GP release 13.0!

skeezix posted on Aug 12 2003 said:
I've always thought auto frameskip is unreliable, but I've not fiddled with it much; I made a note to myself to look into it. If the game seems to be running slow, crank up frameskip until it goes full speed, or you hit 99.

How fast shoudl it crank up the framerate? ie: add 1 fs, wait 2 seconds, add 5 frameskip, wait 2s, add more.. Or does it do it between frames.. "this frame took more than 1/60th of a second, so increase frameskip, wait 5 frames...".

What granularity?

jeff

Damn, now I've got 15 items for my Castaway todolist, and its a mostly done emu. Does it ever end? :)
I suspect it would be better to check in between frames, yet I am not the right man to ask. Why not discuss the issue with the author of Little John? Since he made the auto frameskip work flawlessly

Last edited by a moderator:
tdp posted on Aug 13 2003 said:
This is a great release. :lol:

In line with CPU issues, it seems like my unit IS able to run upto 160Mhz (166 still freezes just like GPEngine). Unfortunately, samples (especially tracker modules) are still prety glitchy. Other than that, this emu is amazing - truly.

Skeezix, what 68K cpu are you using (is it ASM or C/C++)? Just curious, that's all.

Seeya.
Yeah, sampled audio is a bit wonky; ST's didn't have a sensible sample playing system, so its a bvit weird to emulate when you do have one. ST Audio is something I neve rlooked much into (back in the day or now), so it escapes me (and the other Castaway authors :). Its on my list given some free time :)

Castaway/GP is now entirely C; I'd optimized the hell out of it awhile back, but in the end once I tuned the C a little bit it was 98% anyway, so I ditched all the crazy assembly and brought it back closer to the original Castaway version. (My assembly version would run at lower clock rates, but I figured everyone was used ot running at 132MHz anyway, so wouldn't mind). Having it all in C keeps it portable and handy.

(I'm also thinking of porting ot back to desktops.. Castaway/GP-for-Windows would be funny, but kind of cool :)

jeff

pip posted on Aug 13 2003 said:
skeezix posted on Aug 12 2003 said:
I've always thought auto frameskip is unreliable, but I've not fiddled with it much; I made a note to myself to look into it. If the game seems to be running slow, crank up frameskip until it goes full speed, or you hit 99.

How fast shoudl it crank up the framerate? ie: add 1 fs, wait 2 seconds, add 5 frameskip, wait 2s, add more.. Or does it do it between frames.. "this frame took more than 1/60th of a second, so increase frameskip, wait 5 frames...".

What granularity?

jeff

Damn, now I've got 15 items for my Castaway todolist, and its a mostly done emu. Does it ever end? :)
I suspect it would be better to check in between frames, yet I am not the right man to ask. Why not discuss the issue with the author of Little John? Since he made the auto frameskip work flawlessly
I suspect I was just over-thinking it.

ie: Given you want to run at 60fps (or 50fps for UK versions, but make it 60 just to be consistent, and make the UK folks games run too fast ;)..

I forget the GP32 timer frequency, but call it T.

1/60 * T == T/60 time units per frame.

If you're in frameskip-auto mode, then you check at end of frame.. if the frame went "too fast", spin your wheels a bit; if its behind schedule, go right through it. In normal frameskip mode, its up to you.. since you may want to crank frameskip up and skip scenes and such.

So maybe I'll make frameskip of zero be auto-frameskip.. "close to reality as I can get" mode, so that I needn't change the use rinterface.

So we'll see how it goes :)

jeff

skeezix posted on Aug 13 2003 said:
ie: Given you want to run at 60fps (or 50fps for UK versions, but make it 60 just to be consistent, and make the UK folks games run too fast ;)..

AFAIK, most Atari ST (and Amiga) games were programmed in Europe for PAL systems so 50 fps should be the best option.

Back