change cltrl to period postition on keyboard with pndXmodmap doesn't work

b_o_b

Advanced Member
Already asked the same question in the Pandian thread, but I don't think it is a Pandian specific issue and I really hope this can be solved. The ctrl and alt position on the Pandora Keyboard is for ages - as we in the Netherlands say - "a thorn in my eye". And yes, that hurts :(

So.. any idea how I can make the period key function as the ctrl key? Swapping the alt key with the comma was not a problem, but the period key is not responding anymore after changing it to Control_L in pndXmodmap:  keycode 60 = Control_L greater Control_L greater

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you need to maybe:

add Control = Control_L

because I have seen this in xmodmap files often?  I'm not sure why it's needed but worth a try.

Out of curiousity, how did you make , be Alt?

Using xkbcomp, you can dump the current layout, edit it manually, and load the edited config.

Xkbcomp modifications are not reboot-persistent.

Also, you can copy the original somewhere and load it back.

Did you put this whole line in the modmap file? What was the error message?
You’re right, I removed the "add" from the line :)  

No error this time, but still didn't work.

Spend a bit more time with Xkbcomp

changed

<LCTL> = 37; <AB09> = 60

to

<LCTL> = 60; <AB09> = 37

in the previously created output.xkb saved the file as input.xkb

and then executed xkbcomp input.xkb $DISPLAY

Some unexpected things happened.

- The alt-key that was previously changed to a comma, changed back to alt

- The period key still was acting as a period but pressing the period key and another key resulted in ^C. So I think the xkb file is 'overwriting' pndXmodmap as input and apparently has a completely different setup.

To be honest, I really think it should have been made easier to change the awkward position of the ctrl and alt key to something more standard out of the box.  

http://code.google.com/p/keyboardlayouteditor/downloads/detail?name=KeyboardLayoutEditor-3.40.tar.gz&can=2&q=

I am going to check later if this works on pandian. 

^^ Got the app working - not an easy task though - took me a couple of hours. Lots of dependencies and some of the dependencies are not available on the referred to location anymore. Not something a bit of searching will not fix, but well.. 

Not sure what to do after installing , seems like the app wants a xkb file as input. Feeding it the input.xkb makes it crash though :(

Back to square one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back