Chatboard Unplugged Mod

Aiken

I have just finished an step by step, full of photos tutorial for building your own chatboard.

The news are, it's not the standard chatboard, it's a Modded Chatboard.

I have named it Chatboard Unplugged Mod.

Instead of soldering the wires to the chatboard pcb, i have replaced the original chatboard connector with a new one.

This makes posible:

- Now, you can save the chatboard into the original case !!! No cables there.
- Now you can share the cable with other future devices, shave money and space.

Not a big mod but i think really usefull.

Sorry the tutorial is in spanish, but a lot of photos. If people interested i could translate the tutorial.
http://www.gp32games.com/modules.php?name=...showpage&pid=25

Aiken

91_chatboard_noticia.jpg

You should translate that, that would be great. A chatboard would make a gp32 WAY more useful for me, I have a two month broken arm in full arm cast, typing with my thumbs would be easy for me.

I did this quite a while ago with my Chatboard, but used a serial port style connector instead (9-pin D-Sub).

Never got round to posting pics though ;)

Serial port connector is wired up using very thin enamelled wire and is held in place using Araldite. Had to shave some plastic off the chatboard housing to allow the serial connector to fit.

cbmod1.jpg

cbmod2.jpg

cbmod3.jpg

AIKEN:

Bigger photos please. Specially I need to see bigger version of "chatboard_quitar_conector2.jpg" to see what's wrong with my wiring.

and I mean bigger.. like 1280x1024 or even 1900x1600

and thanks for the guide.

Just solder the wires following the numbers ....

chatboard_soldar_conector2.jpg
chatboard_soldar_conector3.jpg

THE SOLDERED WIRES FOR THE FIRST IMAGE ARE NOT VALID FOR MY MOD, THE FIRST IMAGE IS JUST THERE FOR NUMBERING THE BOARD LINES.

SOLDER FOLLOWING NUMBERS 1 TO 4. AND SOLDER A WIRE FROM LINE 1 TO 5.

The first image is just a reduced version of this original one from Mr.Spiv, because I forgot to take a photo of my chatboard board before soldering.
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/jikorhon/conde...00_kbd_open.JPG

But the mistery is soldering the male conector to the gp32 cable, as seen in these images ....

chatboard_toconnectorin3.jpg
chatboard_toconnectorin4.jpg

FOLLOW THE PIN COLORS OF THE MALE CONECTOR IN SCHEMA AND SOLDER THE
CABLES.

And the in the gp32 ext conector,

Pin 1 (red) (+3v)
Pin 18 (white) (ground)
Pin 9 (brown) (Rx)
Pin 10 (black) (Tx)

Aiken

cha-01 is the only one tested. i suppose the cha-07 has different connector (this doesnt matther because it is goin to be replaced) but i think it has different protocol ... so the driver doesnt suport them, i think.

Aiken

Thanks, I also read on another thread that the drivers work for cha-01 and cha-10, good thing it's confirmed by "a gp guru" now ;)

Back