Choices... Gp32 Vs Gba?

finraziel

Website
Visit site
Hey all,

My topic seems a little like something that would probably throw most forum people in a "use the search" fit but I hope you'll wanna read this and comment anyway :p

I'm pondering wether to buy a GBA or a GP32... First off, let me say that I don't care about copying games being illegal, I don't mean to start a discussion about it, just stating it to get the context right as to what I'll be using these things for.
I've been doing a LOT of reading on the GP32, and I've borrowed a friend's GBA for a couple days to try it out... and here's my pros and cons for both as far as I can tell.

GBA + 256mbit flashcart:
+ lots of original commercial games available, working 100% (barring some withs pecial hardware) (big plus)
+ size and form. It's so tiny it makes it REAL easy to take with you, and it doesn't really look like a gameconsole which is good for at work :D
- size and form. Is also a disadvantage imho, because my hands are somewhat bigger than those tiny japanese hands it was probably designed for. Also the power switch in the side can sometimes really iritate the skin of my hand under my index finger.
- screen. Backlight is good, but sometimes I still think it might have been a bit brighter (slight minus in normal operation, bigger minus combined with emulation)
- emulators? Well only a - because the GP32 seems so much better at them. I've only tried pocketnes on the GBA I borrowed, it seemed to work okay, but cutting out about 1/3 of the vertical lines doesn't always work so well. Also of the few games I tried I already found several graphic problems.
- size of the flashcart. 256 mbit really is not a lot, about 2-4 GBA games fill it up. There's bigger versions but they get expensive.
+ I can just buy this stuff here in my own country (the Netherlands)
price would be about 250 euro I'm estimating for the GBA SP + flash kit.

GP32:
- basically no commercial games.
+ scene seems to make up for that though with lots of homebrew games and ports. Still I don't expect this to come anywhere close to the original games for GBA.
+ emulators. It seems there's quite a few more emulators for the GP32, and I get the impression they work better too. As I understand not too much should be expected from GBA emulation? If that were to work alright, there really is no contest ;) Anyone know if advance wars plays on it? ;)
+ batteries, being able to just use multiple sets is really nice.
+ screen: bigger and brighter I understand, also in resolution, letting the emus play in native res (yay)
+ it looks a lot more comfortable to hold than the GBA SP (unfortunately noone I know has a GP32 so I can't try it :unsure:)
- I'm less convinced about the sturdiness of the device and warranty if it gets broken than for the GBA...
+ it's just way cooler :p as in, noone's gonna have their eyes pop out from a GBA, but a GP32 might just do that... attention is good ;)
- as I understand, the joystick isn't really ideal.
+ SMC cards, it's a shame they can't go over 128 MB but even that blows the GBA cart out of the water, especially since these things are cheap and you can just get several.
+ seems more interesting to try and code some stuff for :)
price...
155 euro, 184 after taxes (called customs to check) from liksang...
or
224 euro, for a 166 mhz one from GBAX (currency converted at a site other than GBAX)
Then I'm estimating add some 50 euro for batteries and SMC card.

I'm not too sure where I'd order yet, I mean I'd like to order at GBAX if only to support Craig since he seems really active in this community. But as for the GP32, the 166 mhz guarantee seems to also guarantee it definately wont clock above 180 either (or it'd be sold as 180). Unfortunately the 180 versions can't be ordered atm, but then, that'd get quite a bit more expensive too...
The one from liksang is quite a bit cheaper, but it seems like a gamble... it might not overclock above 133 well at all, then again it might go over 200.
I'm not much for gambling so I'd probably go for GBAX though :p
Anyone care to comment how much it actually helps to be able to go beyond 166 with 16 bit emulators?

I can't get both :p Finances wont allow it (actually getting one is questionable already but dammit I deserve a new toy B))

So... I'll have to make up my own mind of course, but does anyone have any comments on the above? Am I seeing anything majorly wrong?

Whew, that turned out big... big cheer for those of you having read all that :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, I kinda forgot about the whole media playing thing. I don't think I'll be watching video on it though, it's cool that it's possible but... Music might be nice for at work though.
Another + for the GP32 is it's easier to write to the cards via a cardreader I think... I forgot to include that one too.
(hmm I already almost got myself convinced for the GP32, heh ;))

I understand not too much should be expected from GBA emulation?
nothing should be expectet from gba emulation on gp, it isnt playable.

+ screen: bigger and brighter I understand, also in resolution, letting the emus play in native res (yay)
yes the gp's (blu) screen kicks ass, thousend times better than the gba one.

- as I understand, the joystick isn't really ideal.
its "diffrent" from a dpad, its not bad, i like it realy much, but there are also some guys that don like it, its just personal feeling.

+ SMC cards, it's a shame they can't go over 128 MB but even that blows the GBA cart out of the water, especially since these things are cheap and you can just get several.
dont forget that a 128mbyte card is the same size than a 1gbit gba flashcart
Then I'm estimating add some 50 euro for batteries and SMC card.
well a smc card should be arround 25eur, and batterys are arround 10eur.

finraziel posted on Sep 14 2004 at 05:14 AM said:
Anyone know if advance wars plays on it? ;)

Not too well, but there is a homebrew remake that is almost just as good.

Last edited by a moderator:
its "diffrent" from a dpad, its not bad, i like it realy much, but there are also some guys that don like it, its just personal feeling.

Yeah, I'd second that. I'm a big fan of the NGPC so I felt right at home with the GP32's joystick which is kind of similar. It's a LOT better than the GBA's chunky d-pad at any rate.

I think you'd really have to speak to someone who's experienced in both the GBA and the GP32 to really get a fair opinion. But from what I can tell the GP32 sounds ideal for you needs :p

i too have toyed with the idea of getting a gba & flash cart, however theres so much going for the gp32 that i can't get rid.

every few weeks i go through a cycle of rediscovering or discovering a system and its games. for instance i'd always somewhat ignored the GBC, how foolish i was, mario tennis, mario golf, tetris, zelda dx, sooo many great games.

this week i've been hammering away at sensible soccer and micromachines on the snes, both look brilliant on the hi-res screen and the controls lend themselves perfectly.

then of course i'm ploughing through a large number of ebooks, delving into the library of quality homebrew titles, theres soo much to do.

buy one, you won't regret it!

koop een gp32 als je van homebrew houdt en zo niet: een gba.

Translated:
Buy a gp32 if you like the hombrew scene and a GBA if you do not.

(i think the gba schene is less cool)

AND, dont forget that you can now play QUAKE!!!!

Just think about what systems you really want to emulate. If you want the 16 bit machines and computers like snes, megadrive and atari st then get a gp32. If you don't mind only emulating 8bit consoles and computers get a gba.

Gba may have some great commercial games but there are still a lot of really bad ones, i only have about 8 gba games and i enjoy about 4 of them while i only play about 2 of them. As for advance wars theres no need to emulate it, gp32 war is an excellent homebrew game and i'm guessing near the same as the gba one(i don't have the gba game(s) so i can't say)

Theres lots of other things like gplinux, an rpg maker(gigas engine), scummvm(to run games like monkey island) and some great ports of games like noiz2sa and doom.

If you do get a gp32 then get the 166mhz one from gbax, you get a disk full of emulators and homebrew games and a smc reader/writer free plus they have the best customer support i've seen.

Thanks a lot for your comments :) Hmm I think you've pushed me over the edge and I'm gonna order my very own gp32_console :D. Just as soon as I get the money for it ;) (which is as soon as I manage to sell my old car)

Vimacs posted on Sep 14 2004 at 12:33 PM said:
dont forget that a 128mbyte card is the same size than a 1gbit gba flashcart
Yeah I know, but those are also like 10 times the price of the SMC, which is too pricey for me.

Excuse me, but what about those batteries? My GBA also uses batteries :D And it is not backlit, as far as I can tell.

I have both GBA with 256Mbit flash cart and GP32. I like the GP32 better. Flash Cart is nice since I dont like to carry a lot around, but the GP32 although impossible to get into my pocket(without snapping off the stick that is) is great on the go with Snes, genesis, and Im going to put Quake on it today

Mosch posted on Sep 14 2004 at 03:29 PM said:
Excuse me, but what about those batteries? My GBA also uses batteries :D And it is not backlit, as far as I can tell.
I meant the GBA SP, don't want the old GBA (I can still remember the odd shapes I had to bend my body into to be able to see anything on my original gameboy...)

I think from your post, Finraziel, that the choice is a no-brainer get the GP32.

the big flaws of the SP in my opinion:

Those flashcarts are pricey AND you are forced to get those through mail order specialty stores. SMC cards are cheap and widely available in many stores. Moving stuff to the card is as simple as drag and drop through Windows with a reader on the GP32.

The GBA SP screen just plain sucks. Not only is it small, but it is FRONTLIT, *not* backlit like so many make the mistake of calling it. This means that the colors are washed out and the black level/ contrast is quite poor. It is also unevenly lit and has weird moire and lines running through it. The true BACKLIT screen on the GP32 is so much better in every way (color saturation, contrast, black level, even lighting, resolution) that it is not even close.

As you know already the resolution on the SP is too low (240 x 160) to display emus of home consoles at their native res causing graphics to be cut out.

The SP uses custom batteries, GP32 standard AA.

The only reason to get a GBA is for commercial stuff.

If you get the GP32 I recommend:

The backlit version (BLU)
Card reader, it makes things sooooo much easier.
128M SMC, don't bother with anything smaller.
Rayovac IC3 rechargeable NiMh batteries
Glass screen, the plastic one gets smudged/scratched easy and is yellow.

also dont forget that the nintendo ds is just around the corner and itll play gba games so you may aswell wait for that if your going to get a gba

Back