Classic videogamers

And the remaining 0.01% port applications to our precious Pandora handheld.
Hell, in some cases (such as where something really is just a recompile away, for example), the 99.99% can do that too (perhaps with the aid of some written instructions to point the way), no?

(Goodness knows, I'm no coder, but I've compiled stuff on/for my x86 Linux box more than once.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hell, in some cases (such as where something really is just a recompile away, for example), the 99.99% can do that too (perhaps with the aid of some written instructions to point the way), no?

(Goodness knows, I'm no coder, but I've compiled stuff on/for my x86 Linux box more than once.)
Exactly, especially in this community. I'm guessing the average technical knowledge around here is a bit higher than usual.

There you have it folks, after all these years you can finally enjoy classic video games on a computer. I don't know what you were doing until now but whatever it was you were doing it wrong.

Sorry, I'm kinda bitter, on account of having run in with the author of this before. He thinks his way is the one true path on everything. He has chosen unemployment in order to work on RetroCopy (claims he's forgoing a job where he can make hundreds of thousands a year) and I would say has a strong desire for his work to be taken very seriously. He puts out Youtube videos promoting his releases, often including several comments mocking or ridiculing people he's gotten into arguments with. Honestly I must be crazy to even be saying anything negative at all since he'll probably come after me ;p

I know in the past this emulator would convert your ROMs to its custom format then delete the originals, so you might want to make sure it's not doing that anymore before you run it.

By the way, unless he stopped using Musashi for his Genesis emulation he's not offering "cycle accurate" Genesis emulation. Not that anyone should really be all bent out of shape over whatever the emulator author claims. Please understand, when the guy says cycle accurate it just means that he's emulating every component one clock cycle at a time (probably usually whatever the appropriate clock domain is for component and not master clocks for the whole thing), not that the emulator has necessarily been proven perfect. His SMS emulation is probably the most correct out there, although the difference there is really between perfect compatibility and extremely good compatibility. I actually think his game room stuff looks cool, but it's the absolute last thing I'd want to deal with when I'm serious about wanting to fire up a game. Note I personally haven't tried running it because I'm on Linux.

Also want to say, if anyone tells you their emulator is the speed it's at because of its level of accuracy and absolutely can't be any faster while offering the same accuracy ask them to actually prove it. RetroRalph slagged byuu all the time for bsnes but I know for a fact that byuu's methodology for task switching in emulation is much more efficient than RetroRalph's equivalent approach would be.

(obviously I'm not going to posture about open source since I don't intend to make my stuff open source either)

He wrote his NES emulator so inefficient that it cannot run on the Pandora :blink: What a joke. Great for claiming the highest accuracy (I still haven't seen any proof of this), but other emulators are more than accurate enough and seem to run quite a bit better if this statement of yours is actually true.

Well im sure you can get an almost accurate emulator for the NES on the pandora but for 16 bit you might have to sacrifice sound quality or other details, but the reason i posted this in the first place was not about comparing retrocopy and the pandora, but to share with the rest of the people who love retro games a new experience with old games. Retrocopy is more geared for people who want to be able to create their own 3D retro room and in the future be able to play online, but if you want something straight forward that will run the game you want then maybe retrocopy is not for you even though you dont have to use the 3D room at all. If you want detailed information on how exactly accurate retrocopy is in emulation then visit the site and ask for the specs.... actually il go myself and ask and when he responds i will post it on here.

I apologize for such a statement, all i wanted to do was to share this emulator with you guys and I get all these complaints! I am sorry it is not open source, I am sorry if the linux version is not out yet, I am sorry that the website claims cycle accuracy, I am sorry that it doesnt meet to anyone's standards, I am sorry it cannot be used on the pandora, and I am sorry it changes the format of your roms (just copy and paste ;) ) It is not by all means perfect but i find to enjoy the 3D experience and also I enjoy watching this as it develops just like how I enjoyed watching the pandora develop, always watching new videos that came out. If you find something wrong about the program that should be changed, then maybe present your issue and your solution to the author, not me!

^

Relax, this is just how things work around here. The order # is a long running Pandora joke. Exophase is a developer and gave you thoughts on the person developing this system. Basically we are saying there are better things out there than this product regarding emulators and products.

^

Relax, this is just how things work around here. The order # is a long running Pandora joke. Exophase is a developer and gave you thoughts on the person developing this system. Basically we are saying there are better things out there than this product regarding emulators and products.

Really? I have been looking for emulators similar to retrocopy but maybe i have not looked hard enough, could you help me out then?

Hey, I'm not saying the emulator is bad or anything, by all means go give it a shot and if you like it that's great. I just don't like the dude making it.

All that aside, I do think that a program should absolutely never modify its input files without confirmation, and an emulator modifying ROMs irreversibly so they can no longer run in other emulators is pretty heinous. Yeah, you can make copies of your ROMs, if you know it's going to do something like this in the first place. Now, I can't imagine it's actually still doing this, I'm sure enough people have complained and gotten him to change it. But you'll probably want to proceed with caution anyway.

I am sorry for causing all this argument, maybe I can lighten the mood up by changing the subject, does anyone hold any video game records?! As of right now i am 5th in the world for fastest time of super mario bros (5:27) on the twin galaxies website! But of course this meant i was able to retry and perfect my timing as best as i could :D

twin galaxies

Back