Commercial Games For Gp2x?

fargo

I'm thinking about investing some money in publishing commercial games for GP2X and would like to hear from you about this! Also, are there professional developers who can develop games for the console?

Thank you :D

Unfathomable Depths posted on Dec 26 2006 at 10:10 PM said:
:)

What do you want?
:)

In addition to the developer part, I just want to know how you think of it! Is it too risky? Will there be demand for $9.99 ~ $29.99 games? What are most wanted games: RPG, adventure, boardgames, etc. ? Do you prefer ported or totally new games?

Last edited by a moderator:
you should talk to luke miller as well as craigix. craig helped make vektar and payback and is selling both. also odonata. luke made retrovirus rts and is selling it as a download. they can give you an idea of how the commercial stuff is doing so far. there's others too. unfortunately i can't remember atm.

when you say money...what would you buy? i know there's costs, i'm just curious. most of the actual dev software is free, but if you want to use edge sdk (which seems to be behind at least a few nice games), i think it's a flat royalty-free deal. which costs a bit but is a nice way to get an engine that has no licensing issues.

I am a part of a development studio for PocketPC/SmartPhone/PalmOS games. You'll be receiving a PM Fargo. :)

zodttd posted on Dec 26 2006 at 07:09 PM said:
I am a part of a development studio for PocketPC/SmartPhone/PalmOS games. You'll be receiving a PM Fargo. :)
please dont go :( gpSP is so close to perfect

also, fargo: i like aircraft shooters (like last hope :p ) and other action games but make sure that you can save after each mission, it should be something fun to pick up and play for 5 minutes at a time B)

zodttd posted on Dec 27 2006 at 06:09 AM said:
I replied to your PM :)

Unfathomable Depths posted on Dec 27 2006 at 01:54 AM said:
I can only speak for myself, but Id love a nice 3 month project to see me through winter...
Please PM me.

@rokdcasbah & @purple_goat: thank you for your valuable inputs.

@Members: please let me (and others who are interested in producing games) know what you want :)

I've always wanted a portable Tales of Symphonia-like RPG for the GP2X, not only graphics-wise, but gameplay and story wise also.

The graphics don't have to be exactly the same as TOS, since the GP2X can't handle it, but keep in mind TOS's graphics aren't that spectacular to begin with, well except for the cutscenes that is.

I'll probably have some money to contribute to this "project" Fargo is starting up come January, although don't know if anybody else wants what I want :unsure:

SiDCrAzY posted on Dec 27 2006 at 10:53 AM said:
I've always wanted a portable Tales of Symphonia-like RPG for the GP2X, not only graphics-wise, but gameplay and story wise also.

The graphics don't have to be exactly the same as TOS, since the GP2X can't handle it, but keep in mind TOS's graphics aren't that spectacular to begin with, well except for the cutscenes that is.

I'll probably have some money to contribute to this "project" Fargo is starting up come January, although don't know if anybody else wants what I want :unsure:

seconded.

if it had graphics like Legends of Idhuriel...that would be perfect.

Fargo posted on Dec 27 2006 at 05:11 PM said:
@Members: please let me (and others who are interested in producing games) know what you want :)

The Infinite dreams guys were going to port their stuff but I guess decided against it. Maybe you could licence their games and port the stuff over. You would have to give them a cut but you would have pro quality stuff with good art pretty fast. The games are made for phones and PPCs so it shouldn't be too hard to port to the GP2X. You could even keep the vertical orientation like many MAME games do.

http://www.idreams.pl/product.php?idProduct=6

I'm not too sure if I'd want a commercial game dev for GP2X taking after crimsonfire... I dunno, just a personal opinion.

For me i want some adventure game or RPG like Zelda SNES, Secrect of mana... but this game will have a long dev process to have a final game.
I think the more simple is a racing game like Mario kart with network support and internet highscore with track editor.

Personally, I'd like any type of shooter... Something new. They're pretty easy to build.

Fargo posted on Dec 27 2006 at 05:11 PM said:

I love all racing games and would be happy to pay for something 'like' Ridge Racer / Need for Speed / Sega Rally. But accept that the hardware isn't exactly ideal and they aren't the type of game easily knocked up by a very small team.

Back