º-.-º Comparing And Contrasting º-.-º

Drak

fff
Website
Visit site
Well the big ol beasts have caught my eyes.

Pros and Cons of the Gp2x and Xgp in my thoughts.

Gp2x Pros:
•Its powerful dual 200mhz stuff
Ability to hook up to your TV
Uses batteries

Gp2x Cons:
•Same size screen as a gp32.
•No WiFi (i think not sure)

Xgp Pros:
•Nice Screen! size and look!
•WiFi!
•It also looks like it can double as a phone!

Xgp Cons:
•Only a plain 200mhz proc :(
•No TV out :(

Well thats my jist of it.. These fellas should just go back into 1 company -.-

Im also wondering if there will be Fenix for both/one of these monsters. I was making a simple game for the gp32 but now that these are out i mite do it for them..

Oh and why did they show a lame gameboy emulator for the Gp2x in the video? They should have shown something a little 'Better' like snes...

Gp2x Pros:
Uses batteries
Same screen as GP32 BLU

Gp2x Cons:

Xgp Pros:

•WiFi!

;)
Xgp Cons:
Analog stick bad for emulation
Shit 16:9 aspect smaller than PSP screen BAD for emulation

Drak posted on Sep 6 2005 at 08:30 PM said:
Oh and why did they show a lame gameboy emulator for the Gp2x in the video? They should have shown something a little 'Better' like snes...
Because it was the most impressive thing they could port and get to full speed in a short time. Making a full speed SNES emu for the GP2X might be possible but will take some development effort. The GBC emulator was fast enough even after a fast, unoptimized port.
Huxley posted on Sep 6 2005 at 09:31 PM said:
And don't forget price - the 2X will be cheaper than a BLU whereas Gamepark are probably gonna charge a boat load for XGP...
"Probably" is the key word here. As long as you don't know you can't complain about it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
well i the XGP can double as a phone the service would only be available in Korea unless they somehow team up with, Cingular, T-Mobile, Virgin, etc.

"Probably" is the key word here. As long as you don't know you can't complain about it. wink.gif

True, but considering the different approach Gamepark is taking with its XGP I'd be mightly surprised if they released it in the same price bracket as the GP2X. GPH are aiming for budget users, while Gamepark are going after the PSP's market. Or at least Korea's equivalent thereof.

My pros and cons:

GP2X

PROS
-Hombrew scene
-Emulators
-Sleek (especially in white)
-Batteries
-Linux
-TV out
-64 MB or Ram, 64 MB of flash, dual 200 mhz arm9 cpu.
-SD cards
-Price

Cons

-No USB host
-No words about commercial games
-Released in Black ( :()
-Nothing that could make you surf, connect to a pc or another gp2x easily,

XGP

Pros

-Internet?
-3d capabilities
-WIFI
-SD Cards
-Lithium Ion
-UBS host

Cons
-Not Hombrew and Emulator oriented
-Cheap PSP wannabe design
-Analog Stick only
-Price
-200 mhz for 3d?

DaveC posted on Sep 6 2005 at 03:26 PM said:

Gp2x Pros:
Uses batteries
Same screen as GP32 BLU

Gp2x Cons:

Xgp Pros:

•WiFi!

;)
Xgp Cons:
Analog stick bad for emulation
Shit 16:9 aspect smaller than PSP screen BAD for emulation

Bah!

DaveC -- I know you're king of nitpickers, but the letterbox screen isn't a problem on any machine I've seen it; on the PSP for example (since I happen to have one) it looks great for emulation. Some emus have borders on the sides and even then,m the actual proper-proportion-scale is still a nice big display; but for CaSTaway it looks fantastic at fullscreen (though I'm not sure why.. it just does :)

So stop harping this point.. its moot.

Unless you're a true purist who wants 320x200, and then of course the GP32 violates it too, since its 320x240.

If you think about it.. 320x200 is ideal for most older machines; scale by 1.5 is 480x300 and PSP is 480x272 -- thats close .. 30px out in the y dimension, but perfect in the X.

GP32 is 320x240 .. 40px out in the y dimension, though unscaled is sharp.

So GP32 screen is pretty good (but _not ideal_) for old school emulation; a PSP screen is pretty good foe emulation (but not ideal), but is also higher res for other applications.

So for new machines, 'other applications' is important.. for a PG2x for instabce there will be emus, but don';t you also want new games and such?

Anyway, stop harping the screen thing.. its just you, and you magnify hate to non-gp32 platforms like mad :)

jeff

And yes, I'm looking forward to getting a gp2x :)

I just can't see why you're _always_ so negative to everything except gP32 :)

Not to directly agree with DaveC on this but I have to admit I really dont like the way TG16/PCE looks on the PSP screen when stretched. Granted not every system looks as bad but I do particularly remember going "ugh." when I saw it.

Gp2x Pros:

Faster, better supported 'relevant' emulators. (i.e SNES)

Faster CPU, possibly more or less faster than PSP

TV-OUT

Use of AA batteries, which are cost-effective

Sleek design

Hardware 8-way digital stick

Better button design & layout

Better support for vertical games than XGP/PSP/NDS. Could be better but good enuff.

BLU screen

Screen aspect ratio fit for emus & video capped from traditional TV's or animes.

No need for video encoding to play your just downloaded videos (Most of the time)

Large 64MB RAM + 64MB NAND ROM, unheard of in any other handheld console ever.

Gp2x Cons:

No support for 2 players (As we know so far)

Relatively small screen versus PSP's widescreen or NDS's dual screen.

Unit thickness - pretty bulky for modern day device.

Traditional input device: Lack of optional analogue like PSP or touchscreen like NDS.

No WiFi, no web browser.

Machine's future practically depends on the indy development scene. If key developers drop important project for it, the scene, along with the machine may go down. (i.e. SNES project never get started/ gets dropped and everyone is dissapointed)

(practically)No commercial games. Nothing to fall back to when if homebrew is going slow.

Not so pricy but not so cheap - It's alot cheaper than PSP, but costs almost twice the NDS, and most average users won't get money's worth buying GP2X

Xgp Pros:

DMB. TV on the go is pretty fun.

WiFi and Internet browser.

Keypad - allows faster Internet browsing and chatting.

Large screen

Foldable screen: nicely protects the screen with its natural armour.

3D powerful enough to (supposedly) run Unreal 2 engine

Xgp Cons:

Practically everything

No commercial support. No matter what they say, they'll never get enough third parties to set a firm ground. Not with Nintendo and Sony dominating the scene.

No homebrew scene- Although XGP is an open SDK policy, as we already know the homebrew scene is already taken over by GP2X and there is no place for XGP on homebrews.

Crappy screen aspect ratio for emulators.

Awful design. Simply awful. They're working on a new design though.

No clear target market. Is it for people who like gimmicks and gadgets? Is it for early adopters? Is it for indy homebrew developers? Is it for people who likes to play games? Is it for people who like multimediea playback? No. PSP, NDS or GP2X will easily fill the spaces for anyone who wants anything. XGP has NO market.

DMB practically worthless outside of Korea

Analogue only. Analogue is only good as an option.

Size. They don't have the technology to get the machine as thin as a PSP, and I don't wanna be carrying around a freakin huge bulge in my pocket.

Swivel screen. More prone to breaking and fracturing

Again, just about everything. It's a machine that should have never born. There is no market for this console at all. The only way is to eat it's way into the very same market Sony and Nintendo is competing in, but I have NO clue how a small company like GP will survive in between those jaggaurnauts.

skeezix posted on Sep 6 2005 at 09:49 PM said:
DaveC -- I know you're king of nitpickers, but the letterbox screen isn't a problem on any machine I've seen it; on the PSP for example (since I happen to have one) it looks great for emulation. Some emus have borders on the sides and even then,m the actual proper-proportion-scale is still a nice big display; but for CaSTaway it looks fantastic at fullscreen (though I'm not sure why.. it just does :)

So stop harping this point.. its moot.

Unless you're a true purist who wants 320x200, and then of course the GP32 violates it too, since its 320x240.

If you think about it.. 320x200 is ideal for most older machines; scale by 1.5 is 480x300 and PSP is 480x272 -- thats close .. 30px out in the y dimension, but perfect in the X.

GP32 is 320x240 .. 40px out in the y dimension, though unscaled is sharp.

So GP32 screen is pretty good (but _not ideal_) for old school emulation; a PSP screen is pretty good foe emulation (but not ideal), but is also higher res for other applications.

So for new machines, 'other applications' is important.. for a PG2x for instabce there will be emus, but don';t you also want new games and such?

Anyway, stop harping the screen thing.. its just you, and you magnify hate to non-gp32 platforms like mad :)

jeff

And yes, I'm looking forward to getting a gp2x :)

I just can't see why you're _always_ so negative to everything except gP32 :)

I just hate scaling and the distortion to the pixels that results. The GP32 is not perfect res but it is closer. I would rather give up 40 lines and have 1:1 pixel mapping. those extra 40 lines are real handy for a keyboard too.

If you have ST on PSP at 1:1 the image is kind of small and is smaller than it is on the GP32 because the pixel size is smaller. I prefer the larger but unscaled image that a 320 x 240 screen produces. If you stretch the 4:3 ST screen to the 16:9 PSP the pixels just get ugly. Then you filter them and it becomes blurry, I hate that. If you like it that is fine for you.

I guess it *is* just me, I don't know why I am the only one that likes sharp images rather than stretched out and fuzzy.

Other applications? Well the GP32/GP2X won't have much of that for obvious reasons of lack of market share. For those other games I have PSP and DS etc for that.

You should stop calling it distortion and start calling it blurring, it's a better description.
The GP2X will have lots of free and commercial independent games as well as ports of 3D games.

polooo2 posted on Sep 6 2005 at 10:27 PM said:

Well it is smaller than the PSP screen but DS? The DS has a smaller screen at 3" vs 3.5" for GP2X.

DaveC posted on Sep 6 2005 at 06:14 PM said:
polooo2 posted on Sep 6 2005 at 10:27 PM said:

Well it is smaller than the PSP screen but DS? The DS has a smaller screen at 3" vs 3.5" for GP2X.
I think what he means is the DS has two screens, thus, larger overall screen size. ;)

I hope the GP2X takes off; ie: OrR above is making a big leap that there will be "lots of ports of 3d games"; Quake, maybe even Quake 3 now that its release; Duke3D sure. But will the machine have the horsepower to big 3d heavy lifting? Not serious stuff, for sure, though maybe it can do PS1 level in software (3d rendering on the second CPU.. its almost being made for klimt opengl type action in the second cpu :)

But its all irrelevent.. money and marketting sell a machine and get EA and the biug guys to take notice; chances are none of them will ever care.

So the best it can hope for is the homebrew/emu scene (all of us gp32 people seem like we're going to gp2x, and not xgp), and hopefully some larger (small-to-medium) houses like garage games or the like. But thats a big maybe.

I hope the gp2x does _crazy_ well.. we need the small guy to grow and bring the big guy down a notch. (I preach the open source and small guy model every week, and I've lived it with my small bidniz).

But lets keep it in the real of 'hope' and not 'for sure' :)

jeff

I wonder if GPH will include any good SDKs with the device? So far they've ont revealed much beyond SDL..

But even SDL has tinyGL, which I've not had experience with to know how full featured it is. Certainly the opengl model is designed towards having secondary CPU's do the rendering pipeline, so it could be very sweat.

Course, 90% of the GP2X's stuff will be 2d I'm sure.

I keep wishing it had a touchscreen for ScummVM et al, though its not really needed.. I'd take a touchscreen over the extra 32MB of RAM ;)

jeff

We should hope for GP2X to do well, but not crazy well.

GP2X as it is now already has a ton of skeleton in it's closet and you don't want Sega or Nintendo to sue GPH's ass.

It shouldn't do too well, but well enough to guarentee GP3X. :D

Am I selfish or what? lol

skeezix posted on Sep 7 2005 at 12:20 AM said:
I hope the GP2X takes off; ie: OrR above is making a big leap that there will be "lots of ports of 3d games"; Quake, maybe even Quake 3 now that its release; Duke3D sure.

Duke 3D, i'd like to see, that's not too bad, but Quake1/3? Nah. Both of those focus on mouse control for looking, and you haven't got any analogue to control that. I guess you could use the dstick for looking, and then increase the look speed, have the four face buttons as WSAD, then one shoulder for fire, the other for "mode" (pressing Mode and fire = alt fire, mode and left/right, weapon select, etc).

But still. I've had enough of 3d shooters on the PC/Xbox, i'd prefer RPGs, adventures, platformers, shooters, things that a handheld is ideal for. Portable quake 3 doesn't feel ideal, where as a "save anywhere" JRPG, you can put in ten minutes, or ten hours, depending on the time free.

Eh. or something like that. *rabbiting on*

Amen .. I want to see a good fresh new RPG. If only we spoke Korean, what with Astonisha for GP32 and even PSP..

Bring on new handheld RPGs!

jeff

And a Tactics-like game :)

I would like all of the Doom engine type stuff. Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Duke 3D. Those would be great.

Isn't there some kind of port on this where you could add a keyboard or touchpad, or small trackball or something for mouse control for ScummVM type stuff?

Back