Compression Hinge

rgr

Still Fresh
Hi,

would it be possible to use a compression hinge in the case design like the GBA SP and DS?
I.e. a hinge which locks in 2 or 3 different positions including the closed and fully open position.
It's just important for design integrity that the hinge design be carefully thought about as otherwise it could be a point of structural weakness and the engineers/designers working on the Pandora might be new to working on designs with hinges in them given that the GP2X didn't have one.
I hope that the term 'compression hinge' might prove a useful search term for vendor parts anyway.

Thanks & Regards,
Roger

Just a FYI, The development team for the pandora are not the same team that developed the GP2x. Anyway, I`m pretty sure the hinges will be quite substantial and possibly quite stiff too, As they will have to support the screen while users prod the screen with the stylus or their finger, Which has been mentioned a great deal here by members of the community, So i think it will be taken into consideration.

Do not fear, Craig and MWeston are at the helm. :)

Trooper

trooper said:
while users prod the screen with the stylus or their finger, Which has been mentioned a great deal here
Sorry to post off-topic but does the Pandora come with a stylus?

Last edited by a moderator:
Grum said:
trooper said:
while users prod the screen with the stylus or their finger, Which has been mentioned a great deal here
Sorry to post off-topic but does the Pandora come with a stylus?

MWeston mentioned a while back that he was (at that time) in the process of reorganizing some of the internal components, And whilst doing so, He had created enough space for the location of an internal stylus holder (Which was previously not possible), Which could indicate that there maybe a stylus included. Though whether one is included or not, I hardly think it`s a deal breaker as they are pretty much ten a penny nowa days anyway, Though finding one that fits the holder exactly could be quite difficult.

Trooper

MWeston said:
This means that the free space is along the very top (between the three jacks) and there would have been a nice big gap above the SD cards, but that is where the stylus is stored.
New info about the stylus from the "internal room left" thread.

Thanks for the info, I wasn't that worried whether one would actually come with the device, I mainly wanted to know if there was actually going to be an inbuilt holder for it and you have answered that, thanks :)

Back