Considering Buying a Gp32

EvilBoris

Still Fresh
I'm seriously considering getting myself a gp32, and wanted to know a few things.

What is the best place to buy one?

If the Gp32 only has 4 button exc. the start and select button, how do you play the snes emualtion?

How good is the Divx playback?

What quality are the commercially availible games and are they availible in english?

How well do the emulators actually run, and will there be likely to be GBA emulator so I can still play my current games?

These are just a few questions I can think of, I don't want to have to high expectations if I am thinking of getting one.

What is the best place to buy one?
gbax.com or lik-sang.com

If the Gp32 only has 4 button exc. the start and select button, how do you play the snes emualtion?
Complicated. Someone else will answer.

How good is the Divx playback?
Very good

What quality are the commercially availible games and are they availible in english?
Some are good, some are not. Some in englsh, some are not.

How well do the emulators actually run, and will there be likely to be GBA emulator so I can still play my current games?
Emulators run fine for TG16, NES, SMS... A GBA emu is very unlikley. If you want to play GBA games, but a GBA. A GP32 is for more classic gamers.

I was just wondering about teh Gba , because I may have to sell it to finance my Gp32.

Is there any limit to the size of SMC card that the GP32 wll accept/ you can actually get?

Any chance of a megadrive emulator?

My advice is just buy one!! There are enough reviews and news to make this product shine without me blowing it's trumpet but since I bought one a couple of months ago i'm finding it harder and harder to get my hands on, the wife and kids are always using it lol

Just imagine a trip somewhere say on a plane and all you got is a small pocket size consol and a couple of smartmedia cards with you OH and and tons of rectro games, couple of novels an album or two of music, a compleat feature film, drum machine, art program, and oodles of other things

Got a trip in the car somewhere, my nipper watches a disney dvd, on my gp32 with headphones on, no more are we there yet dad lol and tons cheaper than an in car dvd player.

The list is endless and wots more keeps growing.

in the end you'll buy one and the only thing you'll say to yourself is, why didn't i get one of these things before!!!

Ok, here goes. A GBA emu is feasable, but unlikely. It would be very time consuming to program. If you are going to by a GP now, buy it for what is available now, not what may happen. Lots of people buy one, and then complain that there is no megadrive emu, GBA, no full speed snes etc. I suggest you look down the side panel of this site and see what is available. A Maegadrive EMU is in the works- but that doesn't mean it is due for release, or that it will be that fast.

The commercial games are a mixed bunch, some are very good most are average- and not all are in english. I wouldn't buy one for the commercial games, the GP is mainly good for emulation (at the moment).

Emu that are really good at the moment are:

SNES (70% speed with no sound-great for RPGS, but not for mode7 stuff)

PCEngine (as good as a megadrive at least, with hundreds of games. Full speed, full sound- no saves :(

AtariST 16bit- same era as SNES/MD some great games on this- full speed, sound and saves

NEO-GEO pocket- good, but a little slow (great for Metal slug though)

SPECTRUM, C64, SMS, NES, are all perfect.

DIVX playback si brilliant. Especialy if your film is under an hour and a half/ or you span over two 128MB cards (GBA carts are normally 16 to 32mb which is only 2 to 4MB) 128MB cards are currently the maximum. Gamepark said they were doing a 256MB, but that's hot air from last year, so may never happen.

Hope this helps you decide:)

Im selling my spare GP32 EvilBoris, ive only had it three weeks and its got loads of extras but is now surplus to requirements.

Give me a bell at king_loz@fireflyuk.net if your interested.

Nobody mentioned GB/GBC. GameBoy emulation is excellent too. :)

EvilBoris, just go for it... I sold my GBA to fund my GP32 and it was wellll worth it. (Although admittedly I only really played Mario 2 on GBA, which works on GP32 GB emu).

I cannot stress this enough, buy the one with the light!

I have tried the one without the light and you can only play it in direct sunlight, with a big torch shinning on it.

This is fine if you only like to play during the summer months, between 1 and 2 in the afternoon.

Anyway what is the point of having one if you cant play doom at 3 in the morning?

P.S any news on Doom multiplayer.

No witty retorts from Klown please.

I have the unlit one and it's no way near as bad as Safety makes out (I'm told it's much better than the gba, but I've never seen one so I wouldn't know). I would like to be able to watch films in bed though without keeping the girlfriend awake :(

No witty retorts from Klown please.
I thought Klown only did grumpy retorts ;)

i just got one at the weekend and I think if you can afford it get the one with the light, I find the screen of the GP32 to dark.

Well, I have decided to get one, its just a matter of time until I can raise the funds to afford one, I would sell my gba -sp, but.....I seem to of lost it. oh dear. I also may hang on until the european release in an effort to get staff discount on one.

Back