Cooperative Multiplayer Games

mindlord

Notices Two Things
Website
Visit site
I'm looking for suggestions for games that are of any genre, preferably that don't need beefy video cards, or that can be emulated on a modest machine. I've scoured Cooptimus.com and find their suggestions pretty slanted. So, any input on a game for just about any platform that is fun to play cooperatively.

Genres I'd like to avoid: First person shooter and horror. I am looking for a game that my Wife and I can play together. In the past we've enjoyed games like Gauntlet Legends for the Dreamcast. The New Super Mario Bros for the Wii. We even took turns playing levels in Sonic and older Mario titles. I really would like something we can play at the same time without too much investment on her part. We've tried freemium MMOs and they just aren't her style.

I really appreciate any and all input.

mindlord said:
I'm looking for suggestions for games that are of any genre, preferably that don't need beefy video cards, or that can be emulated on a modest machine. I've scoured Cooptimus.com and find their suggestions pretty slanted. So, any input on a game for just about any platform that is fun to play cooperatively.

Genres I'd like to avoid: First person shooter and horror. I am looking for a game that my Wife and I can play together. In the past we've enjoyed games like Gauntlet Legends for the Dreamcast. The New Super Mario Bros for the Wii. We even took turns playing levels in Sonic and older Mario titles. I really would like something we can play at the same time without too much investment on her part. We've tried freemium MMOs and they just aren't her style.

Me and the GF really liked lego harry potter, there are a few different lego's I think they are co-op on pc,, definately on wii anyway,

Last edited by a moderator:
SNES: legend of mystical ninja, contra 3, secret of mana
The most fun I had with a friend was playing System Shock 2
GF liked New Super Mario Bros. Wii and the House of the Dead Railshooters
If you don't mind taking turns you could try Mario Galaxy (player 2 acts as fairy thing)
I also enjoy solving adventure games with friends
Those Lego games are a good recommendation, too

I'd also like to add that Kirby's Epic Yarn on the Wii is a very good cooperative game as well. It's a great single player game as well.

How about teeworlds? It's a 2-D shooting multiplayer platformer. It strangely reminds me of Halo. It used to run on my netbook, but for some reason, it's virtually unplayable due to some sort of internet connection problem. when I try to move, my player stands still for a few seconds, then jumps around the screen erratically. I can see everyone else moving and playing well, though. I think it's available for Windows, Unix, Linux, and Mac OS X.

my little sister enjoys playing super smash bros brawl on wii, co-op with me, same with kirby epic yarn, cant ever go wrong with some mario kart of course, boom blox for wii is good, donkey kong country returns is great in co-op, sin & punishment if youre into that...these are all Wii games, based on the knowledge that you enjoy wii co-op from your post

mindlord said:

You should look for Get Medieval, an old Gauntlet´s clone for PC(1998). It allows cooperative gameplay up to 4 players.

Sorry for my lousy english.

My girlfriend and I had a lot of fun playing the Virtua Cop games on Sega Saturn. Although I've never played it two player, The Lost Vikings is pretty good. Also, even though it's an FPS, I've read Project Eden has a similar vibe to The Lost Vikings.

The Streets of Rage and Golden Axe games for the Sega Genesis are great multiplayer co-op games, and you can let one player do most of the work if you want to. I think I remember Donkey Kong Country for the SNES having a co-op mode.

I wonder why everybody recommends house of the dead when he explicitly asked for no horror games.

I would recommend minecraft on the pc, a game that I recently stumbled upon by mention on these boards. I have pretty much instantly bought it together with my brother and we are almost playing non-stop unless I have to work ^^. It's of course difficult to play cooperatively if you only have one pc but taking turns is awesome too. You should check it out.

Clonk is also great as a cooperative game and you can play it with up to 4 players on one pc. It's all about building stuff together in a cute 2d world full of life.

Me and my girlfriend also enjoyed lego indiana jones and lego starwars which is great fun, so I can only second the mention of the lego games.

You should also try castle crashers if it is available (not sure on what consoles this came out except xbox 360).

I cannot believe noone has suggested trine btw. It might be a little too beefy for aged computers, I don't know about that, you might have to try it. There is a steam version I think. This was also scheduled to be released on XBLA but I don't know what happened to that port.

If you are looking for some emulation coop fun, try snake rattle'n'roll 1 & 2 on the NES. My gf loves this and in coop mode it is really cool.

I can't think of anything else right now but will ask the lady when she's done showering. Maybe she remembers what else we played in coop. If there is more I will add it to the list ^^.

xnopasaranx said:
I wonder why everybody recommends house of the dead when he explicitly asked for no horror games.
oh, forgot he asked for no horror games...

Thanks everyone for your input. I dug out my ps2 and am going to give Bauldur's Gate Dark Alliance a try. I appreciate any other suggestions.

Back