Could I Plug A Wifi Stick?

trepamuros

Still Fresh
Hi all,
I ordered the official cradle and my plan is to plug a WiFi stick and try to connect the GP2X to internet, using USB keyboard/mouse. I'm a bit confused with this, though.

First of all, I'm not sure if drivers are needed to get it work (the wifi stick I mean). I guess I do, so I think I should download the Wireless USB Toolkit. Am I right?

Second, my wifi stick is Belkin F5D7050E ver 1010ea. Not 100% sure, but I think it has a Prism chipset. The Wireless USB tutorial involves same stick model, but using chip RT2750 instead. Will these drivers work for a different chipset?

And third, I read someone said "he wouldn't plug a wifi stick, even if it works". WHY???

Thanks,

I guess you were reading my thread eh? Ok well if it's not a ralink chipset (RT2570) it won't work you will need a different driver set. Also as to plugging it in by itself is because it would drain the batteries of the GP2X quickly I assume.

DBH said:
I guess you were reading my thread eh? Ok well if it's not a ralink chipset (RT2570) it won't work you will need a different driver set. Also as to plugging it in by itself is because it would drain the batteries of the GP2X quickly I assume.
Hey! I've got the Nintendo WiFi stick, and in fact it has a Ralink chipset... not sure which though.
Maybe it works?

Last edited by a moderator:
DBH said:
Yep ! That should work. I'm waiting on an adapter to power my cradle before I can attempt to try this out.
"The USB Connector is based on the RT2500 chipset and as such is different from most other Wi-Fi adapters in that it can operate as a software access point (also referred to as a soft AP)."

Damn I'm dumb. Just realised that how the hell am I going to connect the GP2X to my computer then as I don't have a wireless router... I got so used to the DS' built-in WiFi :(

Last edited by a moderator:
After the tests, my USB stick doesn't work. Not recognized as a RT2570 chip (as I presumed).

Back