Current State Of Affairs

skinnyghost

Still Fresh
I received my Caanoo today and managed to get GBSP up and running at what appears to be maximum speed. (EDIT: Though, with some considerable sound errors). I'm going to try a few emulators tonight. The question I had, I suppose, is this - what emulators are considered "done" presently? I understand PicoDrive and the NEOGEO emulator are basically finished (run at 100% speed, no serious errors, comfortably playable) but from what I can tell, the NES and SNES emulators are pretty slow and clunky.

What's the general consensus? Is there somewhere to keep track of development for some of the mainstream 8 and 16-bit console emulators being worked on right now?

skinnyghost said:
I received my Caanoo today and managed to get GBSP up and running at what appears to be maximum speed. (EDIT: Though, with some considerable sound errors). I'm going to try a few emulators tonight. The question I had, I suppose, is this - what emulators are considered "done" presently? I understand PicoDrive and the NEOGEO emulator are basically finished (run at 100% speed, no serious errors, comfortably playable) but from what I can tell, the NES and SNES emulators are pretty slow and clunky.

What's the general consensus? Is there somewhere to keep track of development for some of the mainstream 8 and 16-bit console emulators being worked on right now?
science is working on a revision of the snes emulator he wrote

nobody has stepped up for the nes emulator

gpSP is fairly solid and the newest version fixed most of the audio problems I (and I'm guessing most) were having

but you're pretty much on top of things... we need more devs and skilled porters or at least more that have time for the caanoo

Last edited by a moderator:
jb0yx said:
science is working on a revision of the snes emulator he wrote

nobody has stepped up for the nes emulator

gpSP is fairly solid and the newest version fixed most of the audio problems I (and I'm guessing most) were having

but you're pretty much on top of things... we need more devs and skilled porters or at least more that have time for the caanoo

gbSP still does some very weird things with sound delay - I'm going to try using overclocking to compensate? I've heard there's some talk of a program called GINGE that allows for wiz emus to be run on the Caanoo, too, so I'll keep an eye out for that.

How's the MAME emulation? I understand there's a separate CSP2 emulator? How's that run? Is a video like this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTT6cynFPMk) about reflect gameplay?

skinnyghost said:
gbSP still does some very weird things with sound delay - I'm going to try using overclocking to compensate? I've heard there's some talk of a program called GINGE that allows for wiz emus to be run on the Caanoo, too, so I'll keep an eye out for that.

How's the MAME emulation? I understand there's a separate CSP2 emulator? How's that run? Is a video like this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTT6cynFPMk) about reflect gameplay?

I don't think overclocking will fix it, but you can try, if you have a game that is acting up make note of which game and which dump version it is E/U/J/C if it is a ! for confirmed working or b/h or whatever, does it work in other versions of the rom, what part of the game it messes up etc etc that might help the devs find a fix to it.

ginge would allow us to use all the wiz and gp32 software titles and emulators... not sure what's going on with it though, would be nice to have it

I can't comment on mame and csp2 as I don't and have never played arcade games, I imagine youtube videos of it are probably accurate though

Yeah well I'm really hoping GINGE gets working on the caanoo soon, that would make life much much better with the emulators. As for the others, gpsp works fairly good, but some games such as Duke Nukem, SSX tricky, and GTA haven't worked very well for me atleast. I'm not sure if its just to much for the caanoo to handle or if there bad versions. I'll post back here after checking different versions/downloads out.

I can confirm the CPS2 works like a dream, which makes it the only emu I have that does. Which is okay. I am excited about that much.

Also, with some tweaking, the GBA emu seems okay, except that I can't seem to find a rom for Final Fantasy VI that doesn't have just god-awful sound problems.

The GBA Emu works quite well, but the SNES one could use some work. I believe SiEnCe is working on it, though.

Back