D-pad Vs Joystick

Just some days I play FIFA2004 emulated by gpSP. I am loosing games because of the stick. I cannot shoot/ run precise enough and - even worse - sometimes my player didn't move for a second. In this second the other player stole the ball from me and runs towards my goal. Before I was playing RPGs. With them the stick wasn't much of a problem.

A note about the other buttons: Playing SuperMarioWorld (SNES/ GBA) is a pain too. Running and then Jumping is almost imposible for me. But maybe with a bit of training....

icurafu said:
Did you ever try the original stick (MK1)? I melted mine once I got my DaveC stick.

I think many board members have deep seeded pathological hate for the GP2X stick after that.

Anyway, I agree with the stick on a digital mechanism responce. I'd prefer the d-pad because it has a faster responce.
Hmm, I C U R F*cked Up.

The MK1 and MK2 sticks are THE SAME STICK, just rotated 45 degrees.

The deadzone is measured on the PDF spec sheet as over a Centimeter, that is f'ing ridiculous.

The spec sheet specifies that 100,000 presses is the MTBF (mean time between failures), that means that they will all fail if you game on them.

Adding a huge cap and pulling it in and out of a pocket usually pops the thing out of its socket (by large cap, I mean the one it came with.

All around it is a huge piece of shit, I would like to see a re-design of the stick, I have posted designs of my perfect stick, based on a HAT switch from a CH Flightstick, with microswitches and next to zero dead-zone.

The Freaking stick is high on my list of why I won't play my GP2X, (PS I have had several MK1 and MK2 models, the stick is the same stick, and the rotate helps a little bit, until the stick starts wearing out, after a couple weeks/months.)

If you search the forum you can get a part number for the stick and can get its data sheet PDF for yourselves. DaveC and myself were searching if I recall, so checking our posts as of a Year or 2 ago would be the thing to do.

If Craigix isn't pulling our legs and we get a real D-Pad (or even a real stick ;) ), then I want one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best joystick ever made!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Arcade_%28joystick%29

I loved the click click sounds of the micro switches. If there is a new joystick / d-pad I would love to get some feedback from my device that i'm pushing it right.
That's why the gameboy pad isn't so bad, if you only feel the right side of the d-pad you know you will go to the right and not right + up or right + down.

Eolair said:
There's nothing wrong with digital sticks per se. It's just that GPH choose an industrial stick which isn't designed for gaming. It's inaccurate and has a large dead zone which makes it bad for games that need precision and fast reflexes.
Exactly, I actually like the feel of the joystick itself. But it's response isn't very good at all. Glad I got the d-pad mod (although I only use it when I'm stuck in the car currently, quick games of tilematch).

~telengard

Last edited by a moderator:
Back