Damn, What Have I Done! Need Serious Help!

Quiest

I like turtles!
I got a notebook this week, and I was tweaking around with some settings to make winxp boot/shut down faster, etc.

Now it seems like I have locked myself out of the system! I don`t have any acces to any settings. I get a message, I`m not having admin rights, but there is only one user (me!) and I don`t have any idea how I did this and how I am able to get back my admin rights!

Can someone help me here? What can I do?

Is it booting completely and then refusing to let you log in or is it going to Windows recovery?

There's a common problem with XP where a bit of the boot data gets corrupted and it starts giving various errors - when it happened to me it started bleating about me not having any admin rights - rather than booting. I fixed it by going to Windows Recovery console and copying some files from a backup folder that's apparently auto-created during install (following instructions I found online).

Google for the exact error and you may find some answers.

J(ohn)

I think I got the same error like you. It boots fine and I can do everything except make any system changes (I can`t access the system controls - Systemsteuerung in german, don`t know how it`s called in english versions).

I accidently locked my self out of Windows 98 once by changing the SHELL to one that didnt exist (it was installed and set up but didnt exist apparently). I had to edit some files in DOS to get back.

Thanks people, I got the problem: I was using an old version of tweakui with sp2.

Just had to do some registry editing, to get my rights back :D

Yeah my home pc is still running on plain xp, not even sp1 is installed :D

But sp2 was installed on the laptop when I bought it (tuesday this week), and I was too lazy to do a reformat. :D
Well I will have to do this, since the hard drive isn`t partitioned like I want it (who does this anyway? 80gb and only drive c: ???)

Just adding this for info:

On Windows XP, when you boot, you don't normally get the Administrator account on the graphical login screen. If you need to log in with the administrator account do the following:

At the logon screen, hold down CTRL and ALT, then press DEL twice, this will take you back to the normal NT style login. You can then type Administrator into the user logon box and the password if it has been set.

Edit:

If your system auto logs in, then just log back off to the logon screen, then you can use the NT logon to login. Happy loggin'in!
Gosh that was a mouthfull.. Reminds me of an X I once had :lol:

WarmFluffyUK posted on Apr 30 2005 at 05:24 PM said:
Just adding this for info:

On Windows XP, when you boot, you don't normally get the Administrator account on the graphical login screen. If you need to log in with the administrator account do the following:

At the logon screen, hold down CTRL and ALT, then press DEL twice, this will take you back to the normal NT style login. You can then type Administrator into the user logon box and the password if it has been set.

Edit:

If your system auto logs in, then just log back off to the logon screen, then you can use the NT logon to login. Happy loggin'in!
Gosh that was a mouthfull.. Reminds me of an X I once had :lol:

I don`t think that would have made a change, since those registry entries were not user related, they just messed some things up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back