Dark Lcd Screen

obliviongate

Still Fresh
Hi all,

I'm new to the GP2X, and have just received mine in the post from gp2x.co.uk. They were great by the way! It arrived in 1 day, special delivery.

Anyway, I've installed the new firmware and have been enjoying all the classic SCUMM games. The device is brilliant to say the least.

However, I have noticed that the screen is noticably darker at the top than the bottom. I also have to tilt the GP2x upwards to get a good contrast. Is this normal; or do I have a defective screen?

I could live with this, as it's perfectly playable. It just seems a little odd, and I wondered if you guys could tell me how your LCDs are.

Thanks

Mine is the same.

However, I don't think it's defective, it's a gamma correction problem.

If you haven't already, try using Picodrive the Sega Megadrive emulator and set the gamma to 1.30 or 1.40.

I'm sure you'll be satisfied that the screen isn't *that* bad.

I haven't tried SCUMM on the GP2X yet, but if there is a gamma correction try increasing this.

Thanks for your quick reply. It's good to know this is nothing to worry about. I tried the gamma correction and it did help, so thanks. SCUMM does not have a gamma correction as far as I know. I did just try the SNES emulator, and the gamma correction on there is great and the dark spots are much less noticable.

Why don't they provide an option (outside of the movie player) to increase the brightness and contrast in the firmware?

Anyway, thanks.

Thanks for the CPULCD tweaker tip. It makes a big difference, but does it save the gamma settings when you restart the console or when you load up an emulator. It just seemed to go back to normal when i exited/ran an emulator.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Edit: Ignore my last comment. I just restarted the console and it reverted to default. It works like a charm now, and brightness is nigh on perfect. Thanks to everyone for your help.

obliviongate posted on Oct 27 2006 at 12:05 PM said:
Thanks for the CPULCD tweaker tip. It makes a big difference, but does it save the gamma settings when you restart the console or when you load up an emulator. It just seemed to go back to normal when i exited/ran an emulator.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Edit: Ignore my last comment. I just restarted the console and it reverted to default. It works like a charm now, and brightness is nigh on perfect. Thanks to everyone for your help.
I can't seem to make CPULCD tweaker working, when i adjust gamma and go back to menu i can notice the gamma changes but everytime I run an emulator it seems to reset :unsure: what do I need to do in order to make it work with emulators?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back