Davec Joy Cap Proper Height?

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
Perhaps there should be a hardware-hacks 'support' or discussion forum, so as to not fill up the front page?

Anyway, I just received a cap (thanks DaveC :), and want to make sure its installed correctly before I post a review to my blog. I'm wondering if its supposed to rest this high on the unit. (DaveC includes some documentation, but its hard to 'suss out' if its right or not ;)

See bad photo from my phone:
http://www.codejedi.com/blogmedia/entertai...x_davec_cap.jpg

It definately makes things more sensitive!

I was figuring that when tilted, it'd be closer to the gp2x case at the lip of the cap, but it seems to ride high.

jeff

Yeah, mine definitely sits a bit lower than that. I think Dave mentioned something about trimming the shaft itself down a bit - I might try that, because I think it could do with sitting a little bit lower still on my unit :)

Interesting; okay, I'll have to give it a good press and/or twist .. just afraid of crushing some component or the joystick internals -- I've pressed it pretty hard :)

I'm not really interested in chopping the shaft itself, since the original cap wouldnt' work very well then I expect.

jeff

skeezix posted on Feb 24 2006 at 08:36 PM said:
Interesting; okay, I'll have to give it a good press and/or twist .. just afraid of crushing some component or the joystick internals -- I've pressed it pretty hard :)

I'm not really interested in chopping the shaft itself, since the original cap wouldnt' work very well then I expect.

jeff

Take care to do not press excesivelly... It is very difficult to raise the cap after that...

Last edited by a moderator:
skeezix posted on Feb 24 2006 at 07:49 PM said:
Perhaps there should be a hardware-hacks 'support' or discussion forum, so as to not fill up the front page?

Anyway, I just received a cap (thanks DaveC :), and want to make sure its installed correctly before I post a review to my blog. I'm wondering if its supposed to rest this high on the unit. (DaveC includes some documentation, but its hard to 'suss out' if its right or not ;)

See bad photo from my phone:
http://www.codejedi.com/blogmedia/entertai...x_davec_cap.jpg

It definately makes things more sensitive!

I was figuring that when tilted, it'd be closer to the gp2x case at the lip of the cap, but it seems to ride high.

jeff

It is too high. The best way is to twist while pressing straight down. Twisting is important here. More tristing than pressing actually. The cap should come as close as possible to the top of the case when the stick is tilted to the extreme. Make sure you check in all directions as the shaft is not always centered in the case. It DOES take a bit of force. The stick is pretty robust, within reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back