Dcastaway

Retroid

Website
Visit site
Anyone have any idea if this is still being worked on? I'd passed it over in the archive because it said it was just a test release but recently thought I'd give it a go since some of the features it mentioned sounded useful.

And, well, it's a bit good!

Better sound than Outcast, better screen support (scrolling messages I'd forgotten were there), good auto frameskip... it just needs a few tweeks like mouse support, volume control (I use GMenu2X to set that) and a bit more localisation to the Gp2X for it to be an absolutely stellar bit of software.

Retroid said:
Anyone have any idea if this is still being worked on? I'd passed it over in the archive because it said it was just a test release but recently thought I'd give it a go since some of the features it mentioned sounded useful.

And, well, it's a bit good!

Better sound than Outcast, better screen support (scrolling messages I'd forgotten were there), good auto frameskip... it just needs a few tweeks like mouse support, volume control (I use GMenu2X to set that) and a bit more localisation to the Gp2X for it to be an absolutely stellar bit of software.
Never tried this one. Can you start programs directly from Gmenu2X?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you asking if DCastaway supports arguements? I don't think it does to be honest, it's still fairly Dreamcast-orientated in its featureset. Which works quite well in a lot of ways, actually, apart from the minor(ish) issues I mentioned.

Unless that's not what you meant...? :)

Retroid said:
Are you asking if DCastaway supports arguements? I don't think it does to be honest, it's still fairly Dreamcast-orientated in its featureset. Which works quite well in a lot of ways, actually, apart from the minor(ish) issues I mentioned.

Unless that's not what you meant...? :)
I meant command line support, to make it possible to start a game or savestate directly from gmenu2x.
I've installed it and tried starting a game with gmenu2x, but it resulted in a black screen. So no command line support I guess.

It does work and not that bad. It will not stop me from using OutcaST though. OutcaST is not perfect, but it is very good :)

Retroid said:
So exactly what I thought you meant ;)

Just a pity it seems that developement has stalled for Atari ST emulators. Even though I was an Amiga owner back in the day it didn't stop me appreciating other formats :)
I've read Skeezix was planning on buying a F200 and adding touchscreen support for OutcaST.
Only problem was finding a good story to convince his wife his black gp2x turned white overnight.

b_o_b said:
I've read Skeezix was planning on buying a F200 and adding touchscreen support for OutcaST.
Only problem was finding a good story to convince his wife his black gp2x turned white overnight.

Yes, I saw that; I'd be very happy for him to resume work on Outcast! It's got a few things in need of attention here and there (sound pitch for one, emulation of some tricks which DCastaway handles) but it's a more complete package :)

Back