Decisions, Decisions!

mazz

Still Fresh
I was just about to buy me a nice shiny new wiz on pay day, when i stumbled across this new fangled Caanoo laying in the shadows waiting to pounce with is nice big screen.
Now I dont know what to do!
Do i go ahead and get a Wiz, seeing that it has a large software base ready and waiting from day one.
Or should i hold my horses and wait a couple of weeks for the Caanoo?
My concern is that it will end up sitting on the shelf for the first couple of months, while i wait for someone to port all the emulators over.
I hear that it might (or might not) come installed with a mame and neo-geo emulator, but to be honest these aren't systems that i'm likely to spend much time on. I'm much more interested in the likes of Scummvm, Snes, Gba, Sega CD, etc.

How long do people think it will take before we see the main emulators ported over? Do any of the community's devs have units, and have started working on things yet?

I hear news of an emulation competition. Is this likely to move things on?

As the Wiz and Caanoo are pretty much the same thing in a different box, will new apps for the caanoo be backwardly portable to the wiz?

Given all the hype around the pandora, once production of the pandy moves up a gear will there still be a strong coding community for Gp2x's systems?

Thoughts and advice please...
(but not on my disdain for mame/neo-geo. I dont want to start a flame war. Just get some info!)

Ta V much

Caanoo! I have a Wiz. I believe the Caanoo is going to get more attention and porting everything from Wiz to Caanoo or have compatibility of both will be very easy/likely. Pandora honestly has stolen some of the Wiz's thunder as the devs that would be working on the Wiz are working on the Pandora and do not have the time to deal with the Wiz right now. In the future when the Pandora has a bigger of library of available stable releases devs might come back to the Wiz. Just my opinion from what I have read and from my experience of having the Wiz (Of course I have had it for only 1 week). The threads that talk about releases of apps the latest release is in May or earlier most of the time with some falling in the 2009 year of last getting released/updated. There are things on the Wiz which can/need to be addressed to provide a better experience, example the SNES Emulator has much more potential to achieve full 60FPS with sound and no frameskip yet there are games that drop to the high 40s even when overclocking to 770mhz.

I believe the Caanoo will get these better optimized ports that the Wiz will either see eventually or never.

Just my 2 cents.

mazz said:
I was just about to buy me a nice shiny new wiz on pay day, when i stumbled across this new fangled Caanoo laying in the shadows waiting to pounce with is nice big screen.
Now I dont know what to do!
Do i go ahead and get a Wiz, seeing that it has a large software base ready and waiting from day one.
Or should i hold my horses and wait a couple of weeks for the Caanoo?
My concern is that it will end up sitting on the shelf for the first couple of months, while i wait for someone to port all the emulators over.
I hear that it might (or might not) come installed with a mame and neo-geo emulator, but to be honest these aren't systems that i'm likely to spend much time on. I'm much more interested in the likes of Scummvm, Snes, Gba, Sega CD, etc.

How long do people think it will take before we see the main emulators ported over? Do any of the community's devs have units, and have started working on things yet?

I hear news of an emulation competition. Is this likely to move things on?

As the Wiz and Caanoo are pretty much the same thing in a different box, will new apps for the caanoo be backwardly portable to the wiz?

Given all the hype around the pandora, once production of the pandy moves up a gear will there still be a strong coding community for Gp2x's systems?

Thoughts and advice please...
(but not on my disdain for mame/neo-geo. I dont want to start a flame war. Just get some info!)

Ta V much

You could buy a Wiz.

Or you could pay less for a console with a larger screen, better action buttons and much better media functionality.

I strongly believe that once the Caanoo is out, it'll be the console getting the most attention, because quite frankly, it's the better console, and it won't be long until the best software gets ported over. The dealbreaker for most people is going to be the analog stick. And really, it's a matter of preference. It's never going to be as accurate for fighting games as the Wiz's dpad, but that's about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back