Defrag Utilities

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Feb 20 2006 at 06:31 AM said:
I did the one that was recommended....in the end it made a pretty pattern with the colored boxes in rows if that helps.

Nice. :rolleyes:

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
yaustar posted on Feb 21 2006 at 07:47 AM said:
Are there any good free/opensource defraggers out there?
Probably.

That wasn't the answer you wanted was it. :/

diablo2 posted on Feb 22 2006 at 02:05 AM said:
what does defragging actually do? get ride of compressed old stuff?

Thanks to answers.com

defragment

To reorganize the disk by putting files into contiguous order. Because the operating system stores new data in whatever free space is available, data files become spread out across the disk as they are updated. Large files may be broken into thousands of fragments, causing the read/write head to move back and forth numerous extra times to read the data. A "defragger" or "optimizer program" rewrites all the files and stores them in adjacent sectors.

Trooper

so it doesn't delete anything?
I guess it makes sense though?
Soubds like the problem would be permenantly fixed if these came into full production.
*Prays*

Read in style on Monty Python Northerner.

When I were a lad down at t' mainframe we used to defrag files individually by copying them out to t' blank disk and then back again.
It were called reorganisation in them days. We had commands t' set t' level of file density on t' disk too. Eh... them were t' days.

It took a full month of reorgs' as we were wont t' call 'em before all t' files had their turn and then t' whole cycle started again.

Back