design D for P2

So what do the people prefer

• Total voters

Phelsumania

Think I've found the perfect design. Oh wait no I haven't someone's already using the design apparently its called an Openpandora

Last edited by a moderator:
Realy, soz am hold my Pandora at the moment and tying to find a flaw in the design itself. And am struggling, am really really struggling the lay outs so functional and comfortable, its pleasing on the eye and completely unique to everything else on the market atm. Its beautiful.

Anyone that sees a p2 tablet for the first time not knowing what it is will see a tablet and not take a second glance. Anyone seing a Pandora for the first time sees it and says wtf is that? Is that a laptop? Is that a console? And I want one.

Years went into designing the pandora and the designers did a bang up job. Top notch.  Dont get me wrong am not against improvements aditional headphone jacks, more usb slots, hdmi out put, add a camera if people want a camera however mobile phone cameras are so good now I can't see it being a cheap addition. Whatever the general consences is that people would like added if it was fezable.  Only thing I could think of design wise is vita nubs feel better but fitting them Into a clam shell would be unrealistic.

Personally think dont fix what ain't broke, the designs good. Focuson the tech side please OP build team when/if this takes off in the many years down the line.  In my eyes a 1ghz unit is my ideal p2 to a degree, that's all I would want. Just keep beefing it up specs wise every 4/5 years

DESIGN D

speak_spell.jpg

I agree with the general sentiment that the Pandora design is overall satisfactory... but I'm not voting because I want to see polls taken a little more seriously.

This is a small community, and at least some of the OPT looks at these threads. This one is clearly spam, as per the subforum title and the obvious intent of the author. But I think we should still strive to produce polls without biased wordings. It just clouds the discussion to have distractive meta-talk about whether the poll means anything because of its language. Even silly polls like this one are leveraged in future arguments...

Fair enough not a lot that comes out of my Mount is taken seriously :), or should I say they might be serious but a rarerly word things seriously. Al edit it so its not so stupid or bias :)

Also i do think earl and others have some good designs for the tablet ideas andthere's nothing wrong with some good designs it can only lean to aiding future designs and build of the p2 but personally if the Pandora wasn't a micro PC I wouldn't buy one. With 20,000 tablets coming out every day withing a limited time period a competitor with supiror performance would be released probably for a smaller price.  If this was the direction we went and we did end up with a tablet I just can't see what's going to make it unique, we've got a unique product in the p1 and its been really really hard for the team to move and produce them fast enough (mainly due to the hitches along the way cc and what not). But trying to market along side thousands of tablets on a smaller marketing budget than most competitors will have, will also be a really hard task.  I would just end up with an icp2 and connect it to my galaxy note and use that and use my original Pandora for retro gaming, wait a year and buy a more powerful tablet and connect the icp2 to that.

It's cool man, and I hope I don't come off as high and mighty... end goal is just constructive-ish.

To your point, and I agree, a lot of these designs although good are not the Pandora 2  Best and safest way to goal is incremental.

I'll join in with the other replies - the not broken - don't fix attitude is certainly valid, but this thread approaches it in a highly negative way.

Hahaha tad contradictory there  :wacko: , yep true would still have a tablet with a contoller attachment. But i think the p2 could run the risk of being short lived if it went this route.

Effectivelly the pandora is based on 2008 hardware and by todays standards is quite dated now. However its still continues to intise new customers and intrest because its so different to everything else anyones produced so far. However if the p2 become a tablet its effectively lost is usp because an icp2 can connect up to any tablet effectivelly to give the same result.

So after a year the tablet becomes outdated after 2 years its very out dated and so on.  It would lead to no margin for error what so ever.  If something went horiffically pear shaped (hopefully not) a delay and problems occuring on mass production not even as close to what was seen with the p1 would completely kill it in its tracks.  Perhaps a lot of Pandora fans will purchace up one. But I recognized alot of the target market if the pandora teams looking for mass sales will opt for the more powerfull, or more popular (in terms of being a house hold name samsung etc) tablet. 

Isn't that just a tablet with attachments?
No, when all 4 modules (Lid, Hinge & Base, Controls & Battery) are connected it is a mini laptop which would not have to be much bigger (or could even be smaller, depending on design choices) than a Pandora.

P1:

• case
  • screen
  • keys (case)
  • pcb
  • case
  • battery
  • case

Mr Loon's P2 (with keyboard attached)

• case (battery blanking plate)
  • case (back of tablet)
  • pcb
  • screen
  • keys (case)
  • pcb
  • case
  • case ( battery holder)
  • battery
  • case (battery holder)

All that casing plastic and mounting lugs will add thickness - around 5mm by my reckoning:

P1 case is a little under 2mm thick, PCBs are easily 1mm thick, very often more (depending on whats mounted on them)

The P2 should be thinner, not thicker.

---

I think the biggest problem with the modular tablety-phablety-convertible P2 is the impresion it will put across.

People with think 'iCP2 but with sucky outdated phablet' where they currently think 'omg mini laptop'

The case design for a convertible would be far more complex than for a normal clamshell, and given the problems exhibited by the P1 case I'd rather not risk repeating them.

The case design for a convertible would be far more complex than for a normal clamshell, and given the problems exhibited by the P1 case I'd rather to risk repeating them.
You mean 'rather not risk'?

The convertible P2 does introduce new design problems, but the difficulties with the P1 case were process problems, not design problems. The problems with delays, miscommunication, warping and cracking would have existed regardless of the design chosen.

There is another problem which is hard for us to estimate, which is patent encumbrance. For e.g. a folding swivel for a laptop display is patented, IIRC. The existing clamshell design violates no patents that I know of.

So we're pretty much making a Linux version of the Razer Edge?

(which is smaller)

Back