Desire To Port From Gp2X To Wiz...

foody

Still Fresh
Hello,

I want to make it my biggest objective to port as much of the software from the gp2x to the Wiz as possible, but I need someone to direct me to the right direction. First when it comes to porting from gp2x to Wiz is it a matter of recompiling the software in Wiz format or there would be needing modification? If it is a little bit more complicated than that, can someone please send me a private email. I have a request if someone can tutor me (consider it a one day course) step by step in how to port from gp2x to Wiz , with that knowledge I will make it my goal to port every single gp2x software to Wiz. Thanks in advance.

Good luck , I like the sound of this idea, I think there's some modification needed though, for example the way the 2 devices access the display would be different (hence the lack of scaling in UAE4All). If I could help I would, but I can't so I won't. I'd be interested in learning how to port stuff too though. A one day course.... ha ha ha, just like the "learn C++ in 24 hours" book I got - I managed to write "Hello World" in just 24 hours!

Orion4874 said:
I often wondered if GPH could do some kind of firmware update that would make the Wiz GP2X compatible. Forgive my ignorance if i'm way off.

We were discussing this in another thread.. It would take a lot of work to simulate the MMSP2 video hardware and GPH will probably never do it. Someone from the community might, and I probably will at least try later this year, probably in the winter at the soonest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but I cannot do anything and I will not do anything until someone help me first. Help me to help you guys. Do you want me to post my email so someone who have knowledge on this matter but don't have time to do it him/herself is willing to teach me to take over the job? I am more than happy to do it here, but before I let my email be publicized I need to make sure someone is serious to teach me. All I want is one complete serious a day teaching me how to port from gp2x to Wiz and I port a project myself in the final day to pass the exam. Ones I get my hand wet on this matter, it is only a matter of asking authors of software developed for gp2x to willingly part with the source code so I can port it to Wiz. There will be NO modification from the original gp2x software and I will not even put credit about me porting it either, it will be identical to the original except it will be running on the Wiz. Doing this will make the Wiz even ever more appealing to the users to purchase. Who knows perhaps I can learn something too and start becoming an active Wiz developer team and develop for the Wiz.

foody said:
Yes, but I cannot do anything and I will not do anything until someone help me first. Help me to help you guys. Do you want me to post my email so someone who have knowledge on this matter but don't have time to do it him/herself is willing to teach me to take over the job? I am more than happy to do it here, but before I let my email be publicized I need to make sure someone is serious to teach me. All I want is one complete serious a day teaching me how to port from gp2x to Wiz and I port a project myself in the final day to pass the exam. Ones I get my hand wet on this matter, it is only a matter of asking authors of software developed for gp2x to willingly part with the source code so I can port it to Wiz. There will be NO modification from the original gp2x software and I will not even put credit about me porting it either, it will be identical to the original except it will be running on the Wiz. Doing this will make the Wiz even ever more appealing to the users to purchase. Who knows perhaps I can learn something too and start becoming an active Wiz developer team and develop for the Wiz.

First to be honest myself and others have ported most used apps from the gp2x already.

Now back to reality, what makes you think going through one port with someone experienced will then open the doors to allow you to get everything gp2x ever ran?
The point is start small and take one thing at a time.

First you never even stated what your programming level is at, you need to know C, C++, know the basic's of compiling
Next learn SDL (go through all the lazy tutorials)
Add something to an existing project, fix bugs
Learn minlib, libcastor

Be aware this can take years...Ive been learning since I bought my gp2x.
In the process ive learned multiple build systems and how to get them to cross compile. Learned multiple libraries. One porting walkthrough isnt going to teach you everything. For example 2 SDL apps may be similar on code needed for SDL, but maybe one uses a makefile and the other uses cmake, or scons, or autotools and on.

Senor Quack said:
Orion4874 said:
I often wondered if GPH could do some kind of firmware update that would make the Wiz GP2X compatible. Forgive my ignorance if i'm way off.

We were discussing this in another thread.. It would take a lot of work to simulate the MMSP2 video hardware and GPH will probably never do it. Someone from the community might, and I probably will at least try later this year, probably in the winter at the soonest.

Yeah, god forbid they try and help the very people that buy their products. Sad to say it's a common story. Here's lookin' at you Sony, Apple, and Motorola! Maybe Ed can convince them? At any rate, if you can pull it off you'd be a god among men around these parts. Good luck and have a great trip!

Orion4874 said:
Yeah, god forbid they try and help the very people that buy their products. Sad to say it's a common story. Here's lookin' at you Sony, Apple, and Motorola! Maybe Ed can convince them? At any rate, if you can pull it off you'd be a god among men around these parts. Good luck and have a great trip!

It isn't that they don't want to, it's that they can't. It's a relatively difficult problem that would have an unknown success rate (compatibility and performance overhead) and they have very limited software resources.

foody said:
. All I want is one complete serious a day teaching me how to port from gp2x to Wiz and I port a project myself in the final day to pass the exam.

sorry to disillusion you - do you really think you can learn coding/porting in a matter of a day? you must be a genious if you can go through all what is involved in programming in just a day. 24 hours ... i mean... lots of devs here are likely programming for more than 10 years...

go and learn the basics of progamming by yourself, small steps first...

Back