device number of sd card if booting from sd card

sepulep

As I understood that the device number (so mmcblk0 or mmcblk1) of the sd cards is not guaranteed to point to either left or right slot, but is this also the case when booting from sdcard? I want to enable a swap partition, but I was wondering if this is safe to enable this in /etc/fstab by using the device number (/dev/mmcblk0p1)...

It will always boot from the left (ie, first) SD card slot, therefore mmcblk0 will necessarily always be the left slot. The ambiguity of the devices occurs if you put an SD card in the right slot first, it will be given mmcblk0, but since you are booting off the left slot it will default to the expected order. Or so I remember anyway, it's been a while since anyone had an issue with this.

Although, if you're booting from SD card anyway, why not make a swap file and put it at the root of the card? I don't think there's performance difference between a swap file and swap partition, and then you don't have to worry about what device it is, it will always just be "/swapfile".

thanks; maybe i was just being paranoid ;)

good point about the swapfile - a swap partition is not needed for suspend to disk?? (does the pandora do this anyway?)

I think that's correct. The current suspend just shuts off the CPU and all peripherals, leaving RAM in place. That's enough to give 200 hours of suspend time from a full charge.

Back