Difference Between Full Screen And Non Full Screen Games (black Bars)

S

sausage dog

I know this has been discussed before but I am trying to understand why some games have black bars and others don't. Although NES games work full screen on my PC monitor they have black bars when played on fishynes. Also, NHL hockey on DRMD plays with black bars (but plays full screen on pc). From what I can understand this is down to the resolution that the games were programmed in, and the PAL NTSC issue (although they might be the same thing). Am I right in thinking these games could be full screen if some screen stretch code was added to the emulators, or are they there permanently?

Yep these could be full screen, at the moment they are not because DrMD is just a port of the GP32 version. As the GP32 version does not have scaling hardware it would mean that I would have to write another software renderer to cope with this, which I could not be bothered to do.

Because the GP2X has a hardware scaler it shouldn't be too hard to add some code to scale the screen. Obviously this will be an option that can be switched on or off because some people (DaveC :)) do not like scaling unless every pixel is the correct shape, or something like that.

reesy, I would appreciate if you made a scalar. I know you're bissy doing family stuff and everything, but..

The saddest thing is that worms and lemming aren't fullscreen. Classics..

cowai posted on May 23 2006 at 06:36 PM said:
reesy, I would appreciate if you made a scalar. I know you're bissy doing family stuff and everything, but..

The saddest thing is that worms and lemming aren't fullscreen. Classics..

Well they are certainly still playable at that resolution so its not going to be high on my list of things to do but at some point it will get done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back