Disable splash image / runlevel 3?

Silent-Hunter

Hardcore Member
I wish to boot my Pandora into console mode, and start X manually via startx. How can I do this? Changing the default runlevel in inittab just makes the pandora hang at the end of the splash screen.

As I recall, in addition to changing the runlevel you also need to add "psplash=false" to the bootargs of the omap, which can be done on an SD card with an autoboot.txt. There may be something more that I'm not thinking of, but that's definitely one requirement. At the very least, that should let you see the dmesg as it is booting up and tell you where it is that it hangs.

As I recall, in addition to changing the runlevel you also need to add "psplash=false" to the bootargs of the omap, which can be done on an SD card with an autoboot.txt. There may be something more that I'm not thinking of, but that's definitely one requirement. At the very least, that should let you see the dmesg as it is booting up and tell you where it is that it hangs.
Well, changing those things got me this when I turn on the Pandora:

Code:
Pandora #

No. But there was no boot messages before it, and it came up immediately. I think it's a boot prompt.

Well, I fixed my device back to default settings, and am now using a SD install to experiment. Disabling psplash without changing runlevel works. I'll try changing runlevel after this in the SD install, and see if it works.

That's the boot prompt, yeah. It checks the bootargs and some other settings to determine how to behave. The keyboard won't work because the OMAP3 has no real concept of a keyboard in the desktop sense: our keyboard is a bunch of GPIOs which the OS is able to interpret to mean keys. With a serial cable (which I will solder together for you this weekend) you would be able to plug the Pandora into your PC and use a serial terminal to control the boot sequences.

Anywho, if that's what you got then you changed something that shouldn't have been changed and uBoot wasn't able to determine how to proceed, so it fell back to the boot prompt to wait for you to tell it how to proceed. What did your autoboot.txt file look like?

That's the boot prompt, yeah. It checks the bootargs and some other settings to determine how to behave. The keyboard won't work because the OMAP3 has no real concept of a keyboard in the desktop sense: our keyboard is a bunch of GPIOs which the OS is able to interpret to mean keys. With a serial cable (which I will solder together for you this weekend) you would be able to plug the Pandora into your PC and use a serial terminal to control the boot sequences.

Anywho, if that's what you got then you changed something that shouldn't have been changed and uBoot wasn't able to determine how to proceed, so it fell back to the boot prompt to wait for you to tell it how to proceed. What did your autoboot.txt file look like?
autoboot.txt doesn't work to boot from the NAND, I've tried it. I changed the bootargs with setenv using USB serial boot.

I know it's possible, I just can't remember the details. Either way, simply adding that one part to the actual boot shouldn't have made it fail. Strange.

I am doing something similar from SD-card. I disabled the bootsplash-screen, slim (the graphical log-in-manager) and on tty1 show a console-menu where i can press one button for different functions like enabling usb-ethernet+dropbear(ssh)+rdate, or mounting/unmounting the second sd-card, or reboot, or shutdown, or enable wifi, networkmanager, or start slim.

Disabling bootsplashscreen: http://www.uni-koble...9117d48660c00cd

But that only works for sd-card-booting. However there is a init-script named "/etc/init.d/psplash". Maybe it works to disable that script. You should be able to do this like I did for disabling slim: http://www.uni-koble...9117d48660c00cd

I still run slim (manually) most of the times though, by pressing a key in the above mentioned menu, because starting X directly needs some more configuration and modification of .xinitrc. It's all not that easy. To configure slim to log in directly seems somewhat cleaner to me right now. Edit "/etc/slim.conf" for that.

If you still want to directly start X as user, you need to set SUID-bit for the binary: "chmod +s /usr/bin/Xorg" and then set up a proper .xinitrc - hmm, or was that just for starting lxde....I'm not sure anymore.

Feel free to brows my little notes that i wrote down mostly for myself. Some things might be inaccurate, outdate or simply wrong/bad. And i also changed some things in my configuration by now that i didn't mention. Use the information on your own risc. ;) You might get stuck and have to reflash your nand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... Well, I didn't change the console=tty1 on the SD card boot, and I saw the messages anyway. I just removed console= entirely.

Hello everyone,

I am trying to logon in console (level3) but manual login fails with an error message "Failed to open connection to system bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory"

How may the error be fixed?

Thanks for any help!

Back