Discussing The Usb Blues (possible Solutions)

Alright, here are some observations I've made with regards to USB connectivity with GP2x and Windows XP SP2. Maybe this will be useful to someone.

My first attempts to plug it in resulted in a NEW HARDWARE FOUND scenario, but subsequently followed with THERE WAS A PROBLEM ... so while it appeared to TRY, it didn't work. I used the USB screen in Settings to disconnect and I manually reconnected, only to find NOTHING happened the next several times I tried it.

After repeated attempts, I gave up.

Today, I plugged it into my work laptop - LO AND BEHOLD ... it worked ... flawlessly. USB2 connection, super fast, super stable. Worked as it should.

So, I returned to my desk and tried it again - once again, no connection.

So, I hit X (this USB screen is horrible btw ... says "connected" even when its no such thing), then entered the USB again, started hitting OTHER THAN X buttons. Something I did magically made the computer see it again. Of course, still with an error - so no connection.

On a whim, I plugged it into a DIFFERENT USB slot and POOF! It picked it up! and even installed the driver! It DID start complaining it was USB1 and that it would be faster elsewhere, but it WORKED.

So, what's the problem here?

I believe the problem is several fold.

1) The USB screen is all but pointless. Apparently, X may disconnect, but some other button connects or tries to connect AGAIN, or something. SOMEONE needs to tell us EXACTLY how we're supposed to do the USB connection.

2) The usb plug I used during my failed attempts is using an extension cable. Perhaps it doesn't like that (the USB port I used that worked as USB1 was on the front of the computer - no extension cable).

3) The usb plug I used during my failed attempts is where I also use my multi-format card reader normally. I'm GUESSING that its trying to REUSE drivers or something from THAT unit when mounting the GP2x - and that causes some conflict. I've seen similar problems where someone replaces a usb printer with a new one, and the new printer simply will NOT use that usb port - but works fine in any other. I'm no Windows USB hub/device expert, but I'm banking on this having something to do with it.

I find myself simply using the SD card reader now - and not worrying about the USB connectivity at this time.

I'm more interested in why when I plug in headphones a little too far, video playback locks up ... what's .... THAT all about?

Here's something weird that I spotted. My GP2x does not work with my PC at all, no matter which slot I plug it into or whether I fiddle with USBMon. So, I plugged it into my Mac keyboard (it has a built-in USB hub), which is connected to a monitor/USB switcher, and tried it on my Mac. Works fine.

However, I thought I'd use the PC for a bit and forgot that the GP2x was plugged into the keyboard - I switched the monitor over to the PC, which switched over the keyboard and the GP2x at the same time. For some reason, the GP2x was instantly recognised and mounted itself as a removable drive under WinXP.

Very strange.

After plenty of attempts to get WinXP to see my GP2x I tried it on linux, still didn't work, but at least I got errors about not getting config #1 (or something to that effect). Back to XP I tried with usbmon, sometimes it would work, but not always.

In a flash of inspiration I connected it to my other linux machine that only has USB1.1, works every time on there. Could the GP2x be having problems running at full 2.0 speed?

Back