Do The Mame Emus For Gp2x Have Chd Support?

nemt

Website
www.nemesisz.net
and if so, do any CHD titles run at acceptible speeds? I apologize if this has been asked/answered elsewhere, I couldn't find it anywhere on the board.

We'll probably see CPS2 support eventually, but I doubt anything much more advanced then that is possible with the hardware. I don't really know, myself, but that's what I've gathered from those more skilled than I.

nemt posted on Oct 12 2006 at 12:40 PM said:
Are there any plans to change that, or would the 2X be too weak to run more advanced games anyway?

The current Mame GP2X is based on Mame version .34 with several games included from .35 and ver.36.

This was when I first started using MAME which at the time was running on a Pentium 200 mhz system w/98 MB RAM(around 1999 or so). As far as I know, MAMEGP2X was ported from MAME4all by Chui, a MAME emulator for the Dreamcast System which had a 227mhz CPU. This version seems a logical choice for the GP2X.

I have Mame4all running on my Dreamcast, and I can tell you that the GP2X version has it beat hands down for speed, number of functional games, sound quality, and overall Im amazed at what Franxis and company have pulled off with the specs thus far.

Games with CHD images werent implimented into MAME until version .90 I believe; and were designed to run on a 1.4 ghz+ system (1.8-2 ghz smoothly, at least on my system) 250 mb RAM minimum/500 mb recommended.

No offence, but you might as well say "what no PS3?????" Which will be using about the same class processors.

I'm happy to know that Im holding a handheld game system that competes favorably with a "last gen" Console system. That.......and I like the fact that Im carrying around a 1/2 acre of arcade machines and enough consoles and cartridges, Music CDs (MP3s) and Movies to stock a small warehouse in my pocket every day. :p

I dont discount that some clever coder could, and possibly will find a way to run chd games on the GP2X. The guys devving for this little beauty constantly amaze me every week in this community. But think about it. The average CHD game is 1-2 gb big just for the CHD files. That packs alot of space for just 1 game on an SD Card.

But, thats just my thoughts on it. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, it's the other way around. MAME4ALL is based of the GP2X version of MAME which in turn was based on the original GP32 version of MAME, created by Franxis almost 2 years ago.

slaanesh posted on Oct 13 2006 at 02:20 AM said:
Actually, it's the other way around. MAME4ALL is based of the GP2X version of MAME which in turn was based on the original GP32 version of MAME, created by Franxis almost 2 years ago.

Once again, I stand corrected with a size 12 sneaker in my mouth.

AHA! Now I get it! ;) The Mame disks I burned for the Dreamcast 2 years ago were a completely different emulator. To be honest, I was dodgy about who the author was when I posted. I just upgraded to the latest version of MAME4all and reburned my disks. I thought the emu had just gotten that much better over the last 2 years and recognized the graphical resemblence to MameGP2X. Which of course makes sense since the new emu is based on the GP2X port of the GP32 version of the code.

No offence meant! Too much guesswork and not enough research on my part! Sorry! :(

nemt posted on Oct 13 2006 at 05:41 PM said:
Does the problem lie solely with the decompression of the games, or the actual emulation?

The emulation. Killer Instinct, one of the first games using a HDD for example uses a MIPS R4600 cpu @ 100 Mhz. Impossible to emulate that at decent speed on the GP2x...

Regards,
Stephan

Back