Do These Snes Games Work At All?

On my Blu+ I run Snes9xGP and os9xGP. I seem to remember I needed to find one earlier build in particular of one of them for it to be Blu+ compatible. I think the Noob site that a kindly member created will give you answers on what build you'll need in case you get a Blu+.

Oh, and welcome to a great community!

I used to play final fantasy 6 on my gp32 until my SMC was erased (don't worry, it wasn't because of the snes emulator, I was trying to run a program (can't remember what) on a high speed and it screwed up and froze while it was writine to the SMC). As far as I remember it ran okay. It was pretty slow if you had sound on, but the sound was really crackly so you might rather play it without sound. Without sound I think it might have run at about 75%-85% or so, just don't count on it.

mrdark, sorry, I'm a bit forgetfull - I should have mentioned the excellent GP32 Compatibility List, which'll answer almost any questions you have about game compatibility on various emulator versions. There are two ratings - one for the quality of the actual game (on the right) and the other for how well it works on the emulator.

well i just tried out os9xgp today (just got a card reader), and i loaded up mario all stars + super mario world, and the speed seemed really decent (no sound though). i loaded up secret of mana at 16bit without that video correction thingy, and the speed was playable i guess, i mean the only games i'd play on the snes are rpg games, and only a few (chrono trigger, secret of mana, secret of evermore, maybe zelda, etc., and maybe harvest moon) i already beat mario rpg like 4 times so i dont wanna play that again (though it WOULD be really awesome if it worked flawlessly on the gp32)

as for genesis, there are a ton of great games, not too many rpgs though. also, gbc also has its selection of pretty decent rpgs i guess, the zelda series has always been good.

genesis is great, drmd is just awesome, but my gp32 only clocks to 166, so there _are_ some games (big ones, like nba live, virtua fighter, etc.) that sometimes run at sub-par framerates, but works great if i turn sound off.

overall, the gp32's a dream. personally though, i wouldn't get a BLU just for the fact that battery life is short, and it's alot more expensive. i'd rather go ahead and go on ebay for a few weeks or so, and bid on a FLU, i got mine for less than $130+shipping. so... whatever fits your thing

drocon posted on Sep 16 2005 at 06:21 PM said:
overall, the gp32's a dream. personally though, i wouldn't get a BLU just for the fact that battery life is short, and it's alot more expensive. i'd rather go ahead and go on ebay for a few weeks or so, and bid on a FLU, i got mine for less than $130+shipping. so... whatever fits your thing

Not wanting to sound overly defensive, but I get pretty good battery life out of my Blu+. Not sure exactly how long, but I'd guess around 6-7 hours. Maybe a little less. I can get from SFO to Dulles or Logan on 2 batteries so I guess that's around 6 hours.
Presumably a nlu would go for twice that, but I wonder if a flu runs longer? I've never played either nlu or flu so can't say, but I will say that I can't imagine a better picture (indoors!) than blu+ and considering it's just 2 AA's it does pretty well.
'Course you have to realise, I was an early adopter of the Lynx.... the original battery eater... so my frame of reference is somewhat limited! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
That gp32 compatibility list seemed decent, but left some holes and didn't even mention some games. It's a good reference though.

It's strange that sound affects so much. I'm mid-level with this stuff, enough to have emulated tons of stuff for my pc and a snes disc for my Dreamcast, but I'm not so familiar with the inner workings of computers and emulators that I can understand it all. Aside from basic resource issues, I'll never understand why sound makes such a significant difference when playing these games, and that's a shame because the Snes had some gorgeous sound. It'll be sad to play the Final Fantasies or maybe Actraiser without it.

But I'm glad to know there's more than one emulator for most of the systems that the gp32 can play. It's got me concerned that some (like the snes one) work better for some games in earlier versions though. I want to really take care of my new machine and not overload it with variables and processes, I'm a little worried about all the different stuff I'm going to have to do with her to make her run smooth for all my games!

Still, it sounds like it can handle Nes and Genesis stuff fine, and though I love many new games, and a hardcore retro gamer. I remember playing Castlevania for the Nes and Joust on the Atari back when I was a kid and thinking how cool they'd be to be in handheld format, and for this alone I'm tremendously excited to get the machine. And I always liked Genesis, just much less than the Snes so it's a bit of a shrug to hear that the snes takes some messing about to work properly. Still, this sounds like it's worth the effort for sure.

My system will be, as far as I know, a 166mhz BLU+. I strove to get the best and newest one possible (and at the time I had VERY few options) so that's the one I'll be expecting in the mail. I guess it'll take some getting used to.

How hard is it to do things such as going between emulators and adjusting frameskips and whatnot on the gp32? Is it as simple as the PC, where you just press a button to exit or bring up an options menu, then go to the gp32 menu and play something else? This machine sounds wild.

Oh, one more thing: I doubt anyone will be surprised by this, but in case anyone didn't know, Gbax.com is putting their stock of systems on ebay in an apparent liquidation sale. Again, this is the place where I would assume everyone would know this, but I only saw it today and I have this forum bookmarked so I didn't see if it's old news. Sorry if it is, just want to be helpful for those who didn't know.

Most emus will have an in built menu to do things like frameskip overclock etc. Switching emus? Some will allow you to reset the machine from the program, others, just turn off the power switch and back on again.

As for sound emulation affecting speed, to put it in it's simplest terms, you are given two tasks, you decide to completely ignore doing one task and concerntrate fully on the other.

Yeah, that all mkaes perfect sense. Not being familiar with the technology, I wasn't sure how an emulator starts/finishes on the system but it sounds as simple as I'd hoped.

Do I need anything special to run any of these emus, such as certain programs or software (besides the emus themselves I mean)? I'm getting a used unit that's apparently coming already packed with stuff. But if that hadn't been the case, would I have needed to look anywhere outside the original contents of the box to get my emus up and running on the system?

just go to www.gp32x.de, it has almost every program available on the gp32 (wolfenstein 3d isn't there because it is illegal to have in germany and thats where the website is hosted).

deadlychicken22 posted on Sep 17 2005 at 05:15 PM said:
just go to www.gp32x.de, it has almost every program available on the gp32 (wolfenstein 3d isn't there because it is illegal to have in germany and thats where the website is hosted).

:lol: sorry to all germans but I always get a little laugh out of that, I mean we kill american cops in gta right? and everyone owns that.

Well hope you have a fun time with your gp32, I am going to hold off for the 2x just because I love to have the top of the line stuff, even if the bottom of the line does more. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back