Does Anyone Else Still Buy Videos?

I have been appriciating VHS less and less since the DVD came in the picture. I don't know why noone seems to see it, but I see it. Of course, it's not much of a difference, but how big is the difference between a cassette and a CD? You CAN see it, but after a minute getting adjusted it's all just the same.

Switched to DVD's though because they will be 'good'(they don't get rusty) in the coming decennium. Plus that I won't have a VHS player in 3-4 years from now, but I will most likely have DVD(or backwards compatible) stuff after that timeframe.

And the main point of course, DVD's are getting cheap too. If you look good you can find some very cool deals. For a few euro's I got The NeverEnding Story and WarGames for example.

Well I was at the local Wal-Mart and they had VHS tapes for $5.88 and you could walk a few fee t and find the dvd for $10.50, or something in that range. I figured if you really want to se a movie it is almost as cheap to buy it in vhs form then say rent it for $3.99 , like at most video rental places. Its about $2 more, but you can watch it again if you would like. If you like the VHS you can then wait for the movie to become shitty and end up in the crappy dvd bin where all the movies are $5. Thus, almost paying the same amont and being able to watch it before you buy it sort of thing... If that makes any sense?

Also one other thing, does the movie Anti-trust deserve to be in the $5 movie bin? I don't think so!

As I mentioned in my original post. I only buy videos that I think I wouldn't mind owning but I'm unwilling to pay the inflated DVD price. If however the film is a good one that I've been waiting for then I buy it on DVD.

I do have a decent Video Recorder attached to a kick arse seperates surround system so I suppose I'm spoilt in that Video on my system is better than for example sky satellite because it's usually Dolby surround sound not prologic. My video recorder does a great job of rendering the image compared to a £70 cheapy. Also I've got a large selection of Tapes I've collected over the years and it would cost me a fortune to upgrade them all to DVD so I think my Video Recorder will be used for a few years yet.

Virgin Megastore have a quality sale on DVDs

I got Flash Gordon for a fiver and Top Gun for £4 and the Goonies is really cheap too. :)

I havent bought pre-recorded Videos in a very very long time.

I sometimes buy VHS if it's dirt cheap and it's a rare-ish movie I can't afford. I love dvd.

spray posted on Dec 29 2004 at 07:27 PM said:
VCD is lower in quality than Video unless you're using a really cheap or clapped out video recorder.
not necessarily

the problem is that most people don't encode things properly so crap is produced, vcd can produce some very good results.
Vcd quality all depends of the source really. The resolution is pretty awful and on larger tvs the image quality makes jesus cry. I prefer divx/xvid format and I bought a divx player, just to watch my archives of tv shows/rarer movies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back