Does Music Support In Sdl_mixer

furyhunter600

Still Fresh
I can't put my finger on it... does SDL_mixer's music functionality just not work on the gp2x or is there something wrong with my code? I'm playing a 22050 Stereo ogg through the music functions, but no music comes out (sound effects still do though, and the music works on windows).

I know, this is my second "I need help" topic today, but I searched for terms related to it and nothing came up.

sdl_mixer is what most people use for music playback, so yes you've got something wrong somewhere (or you've managed to find a version of sdl_mixer that doesn't work correctly with oggs, which is unlikely). What happens when you try to play different formats?

Did you compile and link with the mp3/ogg decoding stuff? I don't know if it's possible to manage without but that's what sprang to mind from your post. What does your makefile look like?

As long as your code has Mix_LoadMUS and then Mix_PlayMUS called correctly then it should play music fine on the 2x.

Well, I'm using the official Gamepark Holdings GP2X SDK. Will using Guyfawkes's SDL libs break compiling for windows?

Furyhunter said:
Well, I'm using the official Gamepark Holdings GP2X SDK. Will using Guyfawkes's SDL libs break compiling for windows?
Offical SDK only supports MP3 playback in the windows build (smpeg is missing for the GP2x as far as I can tell). OGG works on both.

You can setup the offical SDK to use devkitGP2x with the precompiled libs, while keep using the SDK windows libs to build windows versions. That should make music playback possible on both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back