Does USB Monitors Work?

Changis

Still Fresh
I just upgraded my order and are awaiting my Pandora. in that respect i thought i could get some info here about the compatability to use USB Monitors.

I have searched the forums for any info on this, but the closest thing i found was a usb to vga thread.

I was wondering if the Pandora will support Displaylink monitors?

I know there is a Linux driver for it HERE and lilliput.cn provides a generous variation of drivers for the touchkit (tocuh screen driver)

also, if this will work with a USB Hub.

I have a 8" Lilliput USB monitor that i use in my car, and i was thinking of replacing my EEE pc with the pandora as a detachable carputer.

also, could someone inform me if a specific driver version for linux (suse, mandrake etc) works (more or less) directly with the ängström distro or would it have to be ported or similar?

Short Answer: Yes!

The Long Answer comes with a disclaimer: I've no hands-on experience with an actual USB display (or with an actual Pandora *sadface*). However DisplayLink is supported by the kernel frame buffer, so the standard xf86-video-fbdev should do the trick, assuming the stock Pandora kernel is up-to-date enough.

It should be said that this is a pretty big assumption. DisplayLink support is fairly recent, and without toys to play with I lack sufficient motivation to find out if this is the case. At least in theory the worst case scenario is you need to compile yourself a new kernel.

Be sure to share the results with us if you try it!

im sure someone on the GP32x form had an usb monitor working with the pandora but ud have to search there

I have been able to run a liliput UM70C on a sheevaplug and a gumstix without problems so it should work without any problem on the pandora.

I don't know if the current kernel is compiled with the displaylink drivers (I might be totally wrong on this but i think the kernel is to old to have the displaylink drivers).

Also I don't know about yours but mine had two usb plug to draw up to 1A which cannot be provided by the pandora USB port.

Regards

I have this adapter:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-VGA-Adapter-USB-2-0-Extra-Monitor-Multi-Display-/390313229585?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item5ae07b3d11

I will test mine out tonight :)

I also have one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Black-PC-Video-S-Video-VGA-box-Conversion-Converter-/190504907370?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item2c5afa326a

So technically, this could be a temporary solution for tv out (although i can imagine the refresh rate on the VGA usb adapter is probably quite slow)

Last edited by a moderator:
You probably need to recompile your kernel, the udlfb drivers are part of the kernel since 2.6.34 and the pandora with hf5 is running 2.6.27 :)

Also I don't know about yours but mine had two usb plug to draw up to 1A which cannot be provided by the pandora USB port.
it did, but i have had no problems running it off just one (in the car i have used a 3meter mini usb cable, and worked fine and dandy.
Earlier i installed some usb power outlets in the car (well, hardwired a 12v cig. Outlet hub with some usb ports on it) so getting more power wont be a problem.

Btw, got my "your (upgraded premium) pandora is shipped" mail so as soon as it arrives i will test it with my monitor.

But please continue to come with any input on this matter, i might not be the only one pondering this question. ;)

well, got my pandora and hooked up the usb monitor.

maybe good news and some bad as the usb monitor powered up and the display seemed to start, but no picture and the pandora doesnt find it in the display settings.

now, i am new to this linux business, but i have seen this before, is it so that it is based upon typing/coding everything? i find no downloads but a list of text instead. ok linux is for "coders" but no one can compile someting and put up a download? i mean come on. :p im a "now" kinda guy, not a sit down and write for half an hour praying you havemt left a typo or a space to much in there.. :

ok, that off my chest, the pandora is good as it us mostly copy/download play, but i do see how some linux skills will come in handy.

so, if anyone could help me either compile, or have a great noob guide or something on compiling (which isnt more than max half an hour read) or something i would appreciate it.

im eager to start if anyone could show me the way :p

"How hard can it be?"

Jeremy Clarkson

I'm also a newb so I can't help you much. But I can at least tell you how to compile.

Download the source files, right click on the directory and open in terminal.

Run 'sudo su' and enter your password

Then run './configure'

Then a './make'

After the ./make it will probably give an error and ask for dependencies.

Run 'opkg update' this may take awhile, and you must have wifi enabled

and then 'opkg list | grep <name of a dependency>' (that's a pipe not an L or i)

and 'opkg install <exact name of dependency you found with previous command>'

after you install all the dependencies run './make' again.

Then run './make install'

After that you should have the software installed and can run it. It should install it into the folder with the source code. I think there's a way to change the directory, but I haven't learned how yet =\ .

And I've literally done this once, so if you have trouble I might not be able to help. Good luck, hope you figure it out. A touchscreen monitor on the pandy would be pretty epic.

Edit: Word of Warning! If you start messing around with Opkg you could possibly mess up your OS installation and you will have to reflash. Wouldn't be catastrophic, but would be annoying.

^make and the other gcc tools are not installed by default on the pandora.. Also, installing things with opkg can break your system.. since there has been some major changes the OPT team made to the default Angstrom OS. Also could be because there is such a limited amount of space on the NAND

In the development section someone has created a PND of a compiling environment with most of the tools and libraries needed and it runs off the SD card.

^make and the other gcc tools are not installed by default on the pandora.. Also, installing things with opkg can break your system.. since there has been some major changes the OPT team made to the default Angstrom OS. Also could be because there is such a limited amount of space on the NAND

In the development section someone has created a PND of a compiling environment with most of the tools and libraries needed and it runs off the SD card.

Any chance of a link? It would be good to take a look. (i also need to get my usb easy cap working, along with my 2 webcams)

I'm assuming that the libs will make a lot of things work

Back