Dosbox And Fritz 2

noisome

Hey all.

I've read the dosbox wiki, I've read most (if not all) of the Dosbox help threads and I've googled for help without any satisfying answer.

I have two programs, "Ancient Art of War" and "Fritz 2" that I was wanting to run in Dosbox on the GP2X. Apparently AAoW is supported for the most part on the dosbox according to the wiki.

Firmware: 4.1.0 GP2X F-100
My version of Dosbox is 0.72-4 and its in /mnt/sd/dosbox, with the games as /mnt/sd/dosbox/aaow or fritz2.
The dosbox.conf is generic for both games, with only the autoexec part changed to match the game. This has the entry mapperfile=mapper.txt.
The AAoW mapper.txt is from the wiki and fritz2 I made with only 6 key binds, up, down, left, right, F1, and enter.
The gpe is the generic GPE just changed to go into the proper game directory.
All of the files are within the game directory (ie /mnt/sd/dosbox/aaow/[aaow.gpe, mapper.txt, dosbox.conf]).

Problem/Question:
My problem is I cannot get the key binds to work. Whenever I enter into either of these games it seems to work as they both start but I end up sitting there watching AAoW running its demo or Fritz 2 waiting for input. I cannot input anything. I haven't tried other games, but one that's supported and one that's not doing the same thing, I must have missed something somewhere.

According to what I've read, I've done the steps correctly and was hoping someone could point me in the proper direction.

Thanks all,

Noisome

Check the mapper file if it is really correct

Gp2x button codes is on a gp2x dosbox wiki

quasist said:

Those codes on the wiki no longer apply. You have to use the readme values.

Noisome: Could you post an example of your mapper.txt

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
quasist said:

Those codes on the wiki no longer apply. You have to use the readme values.

Noisome: Could you post an example of your mapper.txt

That could be my issue then. I'll check it when I get home thanks.

Noisome

Then is mouse emulation supported via keyboard buttons or is it only for F-200 support? How would I address them if mouse movements can be done via keyboard?

Noisome

Noisome said:
Then is mouse emulation supported via keyboard buttons or is it only for F-200 support? How would I address them if mouse movements can be done via keyboard?

Noisome
If you have F200 the mouse cursor movement is automatically supported by the touchscreen.

If you have F100 or F200 and you turn on the mouse cursor emulation in the conf the joystick/dpad are used to move the cursor. Although there is a mouse toggle option so that you could switch between the joystick controlling the cursor to the joystick triggering mapped keys like the arrow keys. I drawing a blank but i think i made the toggle turn off the touchscreen too, so I cant be certain thats true.

The mouse button mappings are the same for wither F100 to F200. Just map a joystick button to the mouse buttons handlers.

Here is the mapper.txt for Fritz 2 originally. I will attempt to change according to the Readme file.

CODE
key_up "key 97"
key_left "key 99"
key_down "key 101"
key_right "key 103"
key_enter "key 112"
key_f1 "key 105"
key_esc "key 106"

Noisome

Noisome said:
Here is the mapper.txt for Fritz 2 originally. I will attempt to change according to the Readme file.
CODE
key_up "key 97"
key_left "key 99"
key_down "key 101"
key_right "key 103"
key_enter "key 112"
key_f1 "key 105"
key_esc "key 106"

Noisome

Yep those are the old values that wont work

Okay thank you all for your help. I was definitely using the old values. Once I entered the new ones it works well. Below is the new mapper.txt which uses the mouse and other values.

CODE
hand_leftclick "key 268"
hand_rightclick "key 270"
key_up "key 256 mod1"
key_left "key 258 mod1"
key_down "key 260 mod1"
key_right "key 262 mod1"
key_enter "key 271"
key_esc "key 269"
key_f1 "key 267 mod1"
mod_1 "key 266"

Thanks!