What do you think about Edges's review

• Fair

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Unfair

• Edge is totally retarded

• Total voters

I don't know much about Edge, but I know that the article was extremely biased.

Huxley posted on Dec 24 2005 at 02:58 AM said:
Mr. Anderson posted on Dec 24 2005 at 01:41 AM said:
Hello? Megadrive works better than the NES emu and  GP2Xengine works nice too allready. completely retarded they didn't even try the available software

True, but it depends what was available when they went to print. I'd imagine they just missed Reesy's emulator or...yeah, they're completely retarded ;)

No excuse for being retarded(what they said about the screen, the AA-Batteries, the stick[heck if they said something about the bad recognition right now, but they ranted about it being to stiff etc...] etc)!

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are a bunch of GP2X fanboys :p

Don't get me wrong, I love my GP2X, but the EDGE is pretty much right when viewed from a standart consumer point of view.
The GP2X simply isn't ready for the mainstream yet, and might very well never be as it isn't really aiming at that audience.

Exactly, it's not meant for mainstream audiances as they'd probably pan it the same way Edge did. And if they really did give glowing review of the PSP homebrew scene than they've already lost all credibility in regards to this whole discussion.

Sony wouldnt have rewarded Edge for talking up PSP homebrew, especially when they refer to Sony's attempt to squish it with firmware updates, Also both Sony, nintendo and M$ give trips to reviewers but they're only trips for the purpose of marketing their products and enhancing hype, the reviewers themselves can still shit all over the product if they want as long as they find real reasons to do so, any reviewer that dosent is INDEED retarded...

Indeed, I am a GP2X fanboy, self-proclaimed.

A couple of their points arent complete bull, and most of them have at least SOME basis in reality, however, I wouldn't call it a fair review overall.

They certainly did not really think the battery thing through. Example: I bought 8 2500mAH AAs for ~$15USD. Fully charged, they give me between 4 and 5 hours of runtime, from what I've seen, which appears to be on par or better than PSP battery life from what I've heard. The power went out in my apartment for about 8 hours last week, so no TV, consoles, PC, etc. I quickly picked up my GP2X and happily began gaming. A few hours later, the batteries died (the set wasn't 100% charged when I started). Had I a PSP, a secondary battery would be $50+ USD. However, I had 3 sets of backups, and quickly poped in another set, and continued.

Then, going home for the holidays, I was traveling for ~9 hours. No PSP battery could last that long. But with 2 sets of rechargables (4 batteries), I was able to have gaming goodness for my trip home. For the cost of a PSP "value pack" (which I consider a contradiction, personally, but I'm biased), I got my GP2X, 4 sets of batteries, and my 1 GB SD card.

It isn't as bad of a review as many people on this forum are making it out to be, but I still wouldn't call it a completely fair review

Despite the price tag, the idea of the battery is probably to keep the consumer from having to do anything that requires more skill than just pushing the power switch, like buying specific photo batteries.

For the general community here the technical issues might be a piece of cake, but to a random consumer they are not, and if I were to build a high drain handheld for the general public I'd use a build in battery too.

Voted fair, because wether they actually used it or not, I don't think they are overly harsh on the unit from a consumer point of view.

GPH has announced that this was a pre-release. Therefore Edge shouldn't review the GP2X yet. If this was after the official release and there were problems like this, then yes overall this was a fair review. But it wasn't so I must say this wasn't fair.

whiskthecat posted on Dec 23 2005 at 09:13 PM said:
Everyone grab your 2x's and your baseball bats its time to kick but!!!!
No.

I think that the reviews of the hardware seems I guess fair. They are allowed to voice their oppinion on the hardware, as it is a tangible thing. I do not like what they said about the software yet. It is too soon to tell what the software will be like. GP32 is still getting more software, and it has been out since 2001 (I might be wrong about 2001). GP2X is like a mmorpg. It is never really released on the release date. I personally am waiting a few months or years before I pick mine up. I want there to be lots that I can do with it the second I buy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back