Elite: The New Kind

magic_l0rd

Still Fresh
Hiya folks...

Nice port this, top stuff. On the main site though, the new version for download does not exist, v4 is sitting in the directory though, heh.

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody has the latest source? Now, before you all flame me and tell me it is on the guys website, I know this ;) But, the .zip file is corrupt and it fails to unzip all of the files successfully. I've mailed the fella on the email address featured on the website but to no avail.

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance ;)

I might have the source sitting on my HDD somewhere. Not certain though. Exactly for which version I don't know though. Its certainly not a recent ver of the original source though since that was pulled some time ago for copyright reasons, though quite what they were I can't remember (especially since Elite has been declared public domain now unless I'm much mistaken).

i was also trying to get in touch with quirky for a while. you have to be careful as google has indexed 2 pages which belong to quirky. one is hopeless out of date, but the other one just works fine and has all downloads etc. as i am lazy right now i won't google it up... but if you catched the right mail quirky should answer soon.

as in quirky remakes? i'm referring to the gp32 port, which is here. I'm not sure of the differences between the two versions tbh, I can't compare sources -- I would guess quirky's remake would be easy enough to port over, as long as the 'main' calls are correct, pointer references, etc...

according to the website,the best port so far is the one for the NES,i tried it and it works well,i-m just not sure how to play the game properly though,but you should use that one

Hmm, I kinda get the feeling I've been misunderstood slightly ;) I realise there are all kinds of ports, etc... and yea, the NES version is a great game (not quite as good as the Archimedes version), which I play quite regularly (battery saves too, there isn't a "good" ROM image for emulator use, being PAL only). However, seeing a half complete port on a system that everyone raves about for ports/emus, only half are incomplete, poorly supported or don't work properly, is a crying shame.

And you wonder why mags like games™ don't cover the gp32 in depth? Hmmm... (ouch, sorry!) ;)

So, that's why I wanted the source. I don't have a lot of time on my hands to dedicate to completing a project but at least I could have a play with the code regardless, etc... still, thanks all the support all the same!

If the file you need is 122k dated 13/01/2004 and called newkind_src.zip then it's on my hard drive in my gp32 folder but I have a feeling the guy was hosting the windows source. PM me your email addy if you think it's what you need and I'll mail it to you.

PS It seems to unzip ok.

Last time I tried TNK on the GP32 it seemed pretty complete to me. It felt a bit too fast, and the controls weren't ideal, but it was playable. It would be great to get it finished off though - I hope you can find the source.

The NES version is 100%. What other versions are half completed? Or did you just mean TNK?

Talking of Elite, has anybody seen Oolite on the Mac?

http://oolite.aegidian.org/

Looks like some nice extensions of the original in there - how I remember longing to be able to fly other ships when I was playing the original BBC version...

The NES version is 100%. What other versions are half completed? Or did you just mean TNK?

Aye, the NES version is great -- my preferred version tbh. But I find it isn't as emulable as other versions and it would be great to have a "modern" version, like TNK, working on the gp32. So yea, I was just referring to gp32 TNK.

I've got my NES set-up with Elite in it (heh, 'cos the cart slot ain't to hot, if I were to move it, it probably wouldn't work again ;) but the ROMs I've downloaded from various sites do not seem to play correctly, mostly with v-sync errors. It certainly isn't great playing NES emu->Elite on the gp32 either :(

Sacrilege! :eek:

Not really updated, tbh. I guess you're thinking, like... er, a modern PC game... EVE maybe? There have been some homebrew versions, they're pretty easy to find via Google or links on Ian Bell's Elite pages but that's just not Elite enough for me ;)

I've played Elite+ which has slightly better than the original graphics, via the excellent ST emu Castaway and Frontier ( elite II ) is nearly playable on it also. Its certainly impressive to see it running on a handheld imho anyway ;) I too hope someone finishes off TNK.

G'ah! TEP:GP32 doesn't even work properly on real hardware. That's shocking, tbh. It ain't great in GeePee32 either <_<

*sigh*

It doesn't? I remember it working perfectly well, just being a pointless play due to lack of saves....

But then I didn't exactly play it for that long...

lack of saves: lack of any real controls, as far as I remember (ie: it was impossible to even leave the first space station or hyperspace to the next planet, or something like that...)

shame... the GBA version got finished, so why not ours? :(

Quite - I'm sure I managed to leave the station, but proper controls WERE a problem --- now if someone were to get at the source and include ChatBoard support and Saves - then you'd be talking!!!

Back