Emulation/interpreter Tv Out > 320x240?

bomberman

OK, so everything works fine on the LCD. And most even on the TV-OUT. Can the TV-OUT not support 720x480. Want Quake etc. to run more res. Any ideas?

TV out is always either 720x576 or 720x480, but because it's set to progressive and not interlaced you actually get usuable resolutions of 720x288 or 720x240. And then because most things are 320x240, they end up being scaled to 360x288 or 360x240 which is why they never look quite as good as they do on the lcd.

Quake however is a bit different, because it's one of the few things that will let you change the resolution. You still won't be able to get up to a vertical res of 480 though (you wouldn't want to with most things either - it will flicker like crap). If you try it will probably just scale back down to 240 or 288 again. See the instructions for info on how to set the res, or look at the other gpe's in the zip which do things like set a ntsc or pal resolution, letterbox, etc.

The TV out isn't progressive, it's interlaced, it's just that the firmware sets both the odd and even fields to point to the same location which gives you a line-doubled 240 line screen.
If you set the display registers manually then you can have proper a 480/576 line screen, but then you get the problem of flicker.

Just tried my TV out lead from GP2X just now. It's on a standard widescreen JVC model, the picture is way to big for the TV and very blurry. How do I downsize as the F-200 doesn't give many options does it!?!

It would've been nice if they'd have given us an option to scale it too... On my old TV it was a couple of pixels too big, on my new one it's 14.
You need to be able to alter the overscan settings on your TV - mine lets me alter HDMI and VGA but not s-video...

Back