Emulators Speed Up Hack

Lupin posted on Oct 4 2006 at 06:53 AM said:
So, from what Ive read through on this forum, is it working with 1st Edition and MK2 but not MK1s? Or does it vary from unit to unit regardless of model?
It should vary between any revision or the same revision, because different RAM chips and different MMSP2s will tolerate different timings. Same as on PCs with different RAM sticks and processors/Northbridge combos. I believe MK1s and MK2s both use the same Eorex memory, but I think some models had Hynix or some other brand..

Last edited by a moderator:
MAME GP2X 2.9:
Executable: mame_gp2x_fast.gpe
Game: Three Wonders
CPU Clock: 280 MHz

Without the tweak: 37 fps
With the tweak mentioned in Craigix first post: 40 fps
Code:
#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed.gpe --upll --timing 1 --cpuclk 266 --trc 6 --tras 4 --twr 1 --tmrd 1 --trfc 1 --trp 2 --trcd 2
cd /mnt/sd/
./mame_gp2x_fast.gpe
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu
Speed improvement: 7.5%

I will integrate this tweak (in a configuration file) in the next MAME GP2X version.

Excelent :D

Just got around to trying this out! :)

Tecmo Super Bowl 3

SquidgeSnes (@270Mhz): FPS during play = 8-19 fps

SquidgeSnes (@270Mhz + RAM timings): FPS during play = 20-35 fps

Much more playable! :D

Should this type of thing really be done in the emulator or game? :huh:
Some units won't be able to handle these settings, while others can do even better-- for example my Mk 2 unit can take --trc 5 --tras 1 stable! :p
I suggest just let people tweak their ram timings at boot using CPU/LCD/RAM Tuner 2.0 and all you other programmers just leave the darn ram timings alone. :ph34r: Otherwise, we will have to tweak and tweak and tweak each time we run a program. :angry:
Overcolcking support built-in emus makes sense, but I don't think RAM timings do.

PS: Also, if programmers are going to build-in overclocking, please support 1Mhz steps. Some units can goto say 189, but have to step down to 180 because of the large stepping in the built-in overcolocking of most emus. :eek: This is even more important to those that have units that don't overclock very well and can use ever but of help getting that extra bit of power out of some emus.

Should this type of thing really be done in the emulator or game? :huh:
Some units won't be able to handle these settings, while others can do even better-- for example my Mk 2 unit can take --trc 5 --tras 1 stable! :p
I suggest just let people tweak their ram timings at boot using CPU/LCD/RAM Tuner 2.0 and all you other programmers just leave the darn ram timings alone. :ph34r: Otherwise, we will have to tweak and tweak and tweak each time we run a program. :angry:
Overcolcking support built-in emus makes sense, but I don't think RAM timings do.

PS: Also, if programmers are going to build-in overclocking, please support 1Mhz steps. Some units can goto say 189, but have to step down to 180 because of the large stepping in the built-in overcolocking of most emus. :eek: This is even more important to those that have units that don't overclock very well and can use ever but of help getting that extra bit of power out of some emus.

Look at notaz's emulators... *check craigix ram timing settings*

i copy\pasted this code into programers notepad, made a batch file called gpu and then put the file on my sd card
#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed.gpe --upll --timing 1 --cpuclk 266 --trc 6 --tras 4 --twr 1 --tmrd 1 --trfc 1 --trp 2 --trcd 2
cd /mnt/sd/
./prboom
_gp2x_fast.gpe
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu but i cant find it ,or can see if its running with anything, , please help out an old games player . i need to try this in doom \ hexen ;)

i copy\pasted this code into programers notepad, made a batch file called gpu and then put the file on my sd card
#!/bin/sh

cd /mnt/sd/
./prboom
_gp2x_fast.gpe
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu but i cant find it ,or can see if its running with anything, , please help out an old games player . i need to try this in doom \ hexen ;)

If its a .gpu file then you have to launch it from the "Utilities" part of the normal GP2X menu. It filters so you only see *.gpu files.

I've been trying to get this to work, but I'm a total n00b to this sort of thing so it hasn't been working.

I put the following in a file in my root named cpu_speed.gpe, and also put it in a .gpu file and ran it from utilities, and both of them turned the screen black for a few seconds before going straight back to the home screen:

#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed --upll --timing 1 --cpuclk 266 --trc 6 --tras 4 --twr 1 --tmrd 1 --trfc 1 --trp 2 --trcd 2
cd /mnt/sd/SNES/
./squidgesnes.gpe
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

I would ASSUME my error is that there should be a separate file named cpu_speed.gpe that has something else in it, but I've looked around and found nothing on that either, so I'm asking you guys for help. ^^

Kibiru posted on Dec 16 2006 at 05:57 PM said:
I've been trying to get this to work, but I'm a total n00b to this sort of thing so it hasn't been working.

I put the following in a file in my root named cpu_speed.gpe, and also put it in a .gpu file and ran it from utilities, and both of them turned the screen black for a few seconds before going straight back to the home screen:

#!/bin/sh

cd /mnt/sd/SNES/
./squidgesnes.gpe
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

I would ASSUME my error is that there should be a separate file named cpu_speed.gpe that has something else in it, but I've looked around and found nothing on that either, so I'm asking you guys for help. ^^

Hint in bold

I originally had it like that, but it would just turn the screen black. I figgured taking it away was an improvement because at least it did SOMETHING...

Back