Ethernet Adapter - Must Be Usb 2.0 ?

id10t

Hi,

There's been a few posts about the usb host port on the pandora.

I hope that the pandora will replace my laptop on a few trips, but some
of the hotels I have stayed in (US) have provided wired internet access
in the room, rather than wireless.
So I am thinking of picking up a cheap usb ethernet dongle.
http://shop3.frys.com/product/4434796?site...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

But, will I have to make sure that the device is not usb 1.1 ?

Also, what driver issues am I likely to encounter?
Will the kernel have some generic usb networking?

ID

Last edited by a moderator:
'ID10T' said:
I don't see why you'd have to make sure it's NOT 1.1. 2.0 is backward compatible with 1.1 in every way. In fact, 2.0 is nothing but 1.1 with some extra stuff added on. So a 1.1 device will function in any USB port at all. Whether it makes sense to get a 100Mbps USB 1.1 device (which is limited to 12MBps if memory serves) is another matter.

I think you'll be fine with any version of USB except the as-yet-unreleased 3.0.

'ID10T' said:
Also, what driver issues am I likely to encounter?
Will the kernel have some generic usb networking?
Almost all ethernet adaptors are supported under Linux by default. In fact, it's one of the best-supported features in Linux... you can pick virtually any Ethernet device and it will work. USB Ethernet is a bit more tricky, but I've never seen an Ethernet dongle that Linux didn't automatically pick up on.

Whether the Pandora kernel will have such support for the particular device you want to use built in, I have no idea.

'ledow' said:
'ID10T' said:
I don't see why you'd have to make sure it's NOT 1.1. 2.0 is backward compatible with 1.1 in every way. In fact, 2.0 is nothing but 1.1 with some extra stuff added on. So a 1.1 device will function in any USB port at all. Whether it makes sense to get a 100Mbps USB 1.1 device (which is limited to 12MBps if memory serves) is another matter.
idea.

With the Pandora's USB port this is not, in fact the case. For 1.1 you will need a USB hub.

For wired-only sites (e.g. hotels) I use a travel router. They are really small and cheap. I've set it up as an encrypted hotspot known by my laptop and N800. I just plug it in any wired Ethernet and if that Ethernet gives out dhcp I am all set.

There are some sites where wireless is not allowed at all, e.g. at some workplaces. At those sites an ethernet dongle would do better, but everywhere else the travel router option excels.

'ledow' said:
'ID10T' said:

I think you'll be fine with any version of USB except the as-yet-unreleased 3.0.

Actually, 2.0 doesn't technically have backwards compatibility for 1.1. The reason why it seems to is that USB 1.1 controller chips are included along with the 2.0 chips. The 1.1 chip is still necessary for 1.1 support. The Pandora doesn't have that 1.1 chip, just the 2.0 one, so you won't have 1.1 capabilities on the full-size USB port without a USB 2.0 hub that supports 1.1.

Okay. Wow. I was aware of the host-controller thing but I thought it was just standard practice that all 2.0 chips contained 1.1 functionality too. Don't know of a single other device that does that (someone will probably name a famous one now).

Question then: I take it this means the Pandora cannot use the USB logo because it doesn't pass the USB compliance tests which seem to indicate that it needs to pass the "Fast" (i.e. 1.1) tests in order to qualify for "High" (i.e. 2.0) compliance? (This is the point at which someone flames me for bringing up a previously-discussed topic). :)

'Tor' said:
For wired-only sites (e.g. hotels) I use a travel router. They are really small and cheap. I've set it up as an encrypted hotspot known by my laptop and N800. I just plug it in any wired Ethernet and if that Ethernet gives out dhcp I am all set.

There are some sites where wireless is not allowed at all, e.g. at some workplaces. At those sites an ethernet dongle would do better, but everywhere else the travel router option excels.
I hadn't thought of that. I have a Belkin 73xx running DD-WRT that I could set up.
What do you use?

Downside is that it is as bulky as the pandora - not like a usb dongle, especially
considering it's another power supply to lug around too.
Plus when a router craps out, you really need your ethernet cable to reflash it.

Maplin have:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=217752

But I am wondering about devices that say 1.1 and 2.0 compatible.
Does it mean the device is 1.1 and expects the hosts to drop into 1.1 mode,
so if the host (pandora) is 2.0 only, will it work?

That maplin one does seem to work with Ubuntu drivers according to the faq.

The OTG port is 1.1, is it not? Just get the appropriate adapter and you're all set.

have you sourced a cable that has OTG male on one end and a female
port (for a standard usb) at the other?

'ID10T' said:
I hadn't thought of that. I have a Belkin 73xx running DD-WRT that I could set up.
What do you use?
Linksys and Asus travel routers are used by many N800/N810 owners, so we know they work fine (I use an Asus).
http://www.directron.com/wtr54gs.html
http://www.buy.com/prod/asus-wl-330ge-wire.../207595938.html
They are about the size of a small cigarette packet and can typically be powered by a miniature power supply or from a nearby usb port, at least my Asus can (pretty ideal for the Pandora, it doesn't need much power).
There are even smaller travel routers on the market now:
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03/28/re..._pocket_router/
Just do a search for wireless travel router.
The model I have can be used as an access point, or as a wireless interface (I can plug it into the ethernet port of my laptop and use it to connect to an access point). It can even be used as a wireless bridge, but that function was removed in a later model.

'ID10T' said:
have you sourced a cable that has OTG male on one end and a female
port (for a standard usb) at the other?
This one is for N8x0
CODE
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=H11576-ND

What does Pandora use, micro or mini? Nothing in the FAQ

Pandora has got mini-AB so this will work:
CODE
http://www.amazon.com/USB-Female-Mini-Male-Adapter/dp/B0016RNX2I

'_VWV_' said:
USB OTG provides 100mA which may be not enough for an Ethernet adapter.
If you've got an adapter that takes more than 100mA, toss it :) My usb ethernet adapter definitely uses less than that.

'mali' said:
Pandora has got mini-AB so this will work:
CODE
http://www.amazon.com/USB-Female-Mini-Male-Adapter/dp/B0016RNX2I
Actually, I don't think it will. It needs to be a mini-A plug, and that adapter is inexplicably a mini-B. If you use it, both sides will try to be a peripheral, and neither side a host. :huh:

Oh, I didn't mess about with that stuff yet. It's a link I found on this board somewhere. I think someone who knows the terminology should update the FAQ, that would be best for all of us.

One more time...

On the Pandora:

The USB OTG port uses a mini AB connector, can supply 100 mA of current, and supports "low speed", "full speed" & "high speed" devices. It is required to use a mini AB connector because it is an OTG port (needs 5 pins).

The USB port uses a standard A connector, can supply 500 mA of current but only supports "High Speed" devices.

The USB Specs:
USB 1.1 uses 3.3V signaling and supports "low speed" (most USB mice & keyboards), and "full speed" 12 Mega bits/sec.
USB 2.0 is a superset of USB 1.1, and adds the "High Speed" mode that uses low voltage signaling (about 0.5V) and can operate at 480 Mega bits/sec. And yes, a USB 2.0 port is REQUIRED to support full speed and low speed devices. There an awful lot of devices available that play rather loose with these specs.

I do not believe that the Pandora would be allowed to use the official USB logo for their USB port.

It is my belief that the chip used in the Pandora was intended to have a USB High Speed hub hardwired to its high speed only port. A high speed USB hub is required to translate any low speed or full speed transaction to a high speed transaction (otherwise, attaching a low speed or full speed device to a hub would kill the bandwidth of the entire USB bus when connected).

'DAP' said:
The USB OTG port uses a mini AB connector, can supply 100 mA of current, and supports "low speed", "full speed" & "high speed" devices. It is required to use a mini AB connector because it is an OTG port (needs 5 pins).
Sorry if we are so much misinformed... but at the end we do need something called like "USB Type-A receptacle/female to Mini-A connector cable" to use those ethernet adapters, right?

Do you expect cheap (9.99$) USB 1.1 adapters to draw less then 100 mA?
I am interested since I have no wireless at my parent's home (I'm attending college and sometimes I spend 3 days at my "old" home) =)
Thank you very much in advance.

Back