European cookie law?

Bosbeetle

Terminally lost
Website
Visit site
So what do you guys think about the european cookie law. I am part of the crew of a big site (FOK.nl) and I think it sucks. Our goverment took the european law and implemented an even strickter law. The law says that any cookie even third party should be manually accepted or rejected by the user of the site. FOK.nl solved the problem by letting people accept every cookie or accept none and get no access to the site... Since every post with a youtube movie embedded in it or a picture from whatever upload site, could potentially hold a cookie.

How will this forum deal with it btw, I don't know what the german law is at the moment.

We got that stricter version in .se since a while back, although most sites seems to ignore it. In fact, the only time yet I've been asked about cookies before entering a site was, ironically enough, the site of "the National Defence Radio Establishment" (FRA), who are commonly thought to be spying on citizens :D

Last edited by a moderator:
We got that stricter version in .se since a while back, although most sites seems to ignore it. In fact, the only time yet I've been asked about cookies before entering a site was, ironically enough, the site of "the National Defence Radio Establishment" (FRA), who are commonly thought to be spying on citizens :D

yeah today they implemented it in the netherlands and none of the sites of the government or of the political parties have implemented it.... :eek:

Cookie_Monster___Z4_beta_by_Intervain.jpg

Government's haven't got a clue.

Contrasting North America against the UK, Canada is currently fighting proposed legislation that would allow basically anyone to see your browsing habits at any time. They say it's only for law enforcement investigations, but there's no hard restrictions on the data and no guarantees of security against it.

We got that too ^

And calling history, and triangulated position data from cellphone towers iirc.

EDIT: It also requires storing email traffic.

Wat?

So you've got one law that says tracking cookies must be opt in for privacy concerns, and another that says STORE EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME EVERYWHERE without your consent?

That's pretty faqed up.

We made a batch of chocolate chip cookies yesterday, they were pretty good. :D

But, wrong type of cookies, I know. :p

Regarding the forum, I seem to recall that this law is why ED removed the Facebook login option...

Why oh why do people who know nothing about technology go around making laws like this, without running it by people who know what they're talking about, first?

Because that would make sense. The only goal of EU is to make US laws look less stupid.
That's actually (and sadly) a pretty fitting description of the current situation oO

Although we've managed to stop/delay the data retention laws here in Germany, they seem to be coming back. As it's EU law, Germany has to make it into national law. If they don't they have to pay fines.

The EU doesn't feel very democratic to me. We seem to have a lot more control over our government than over the EU...

Browsers have been offering such features for years. These laws are utterly ridiculous.

And no offense, but FOK.nl itself sucks too :p Show some courage and ignore the damn law.

Browsers have been offering such features for years. These laws are utterly ridiculous.

And no offense, but FOK.nl itself sucks too :p Show some courage and ignore the damn law.

No browsers offer an opt-out option... websites in the netherlands have to offer an opt-in as to say they have to mention each and every cookie they or others will place and ask the user explicitly id it want to accept this. A impossible law to oblige to.

well FOK.nl isnt willing to pay €450000 in fines, but also isnt willing to lose all the advertisment revenue. In the end any other way will mean the end of FOK.nl

https://www.youtube.com/embed/9hLmX9FX2KA?feature=oembed

and here i though Europe had something like the new New York law-to-be where its illegal to server drinks larger than 16oz(about half a liter to you normal people)

Back