Excellent README. Suggestions for keeping it awesome.

TrevorBradley

Well done sebt3 on the README thread! It's good to see that information compiled and in one place.

My recommendations for that README thread:

1) Lock it, so that there are no replies.
2) Sticky it, so it appears first (above all other stickies, if possible)
3) Keep it well maintained!
4) Create another thread for discussion of the README, what should get added on, what isn't answered, etc. Locking the README isn't about cutting off discussion, rather keeping that info neat and tidy for newcomers.
5) And finally my suggestion to everyone. We have a lot of new people just learning about Pandora, and we want to show them how awesome this community can be. Rather than slamming the newbies for not reading the README, a simple "As listed in the README: <quote>" would do wonders. If we get enough of those kinds of replies on the new threads and the newbies will get the message to check there first quickly and in a positive way.

Again, awesome work, keep it up!

Really, we'd love to sticky it, but for some reason, we don't have that ability outside of the mod forum.

I don't agree with the suggestion that the README thread and the opinions of the README thread should be separate - the topic replies can be for discussing the READE topic, and the topic post itself can be the README. This is how it was done in GP32X and it worked quite well. :)

javaJake said:
I don't agree with the suggestion that the README thread and the opinions of the README thread should be separate - the topic replies can be for discussing the READE topic, and the topic post itself can be the README. This is how it was done in GP32X and it worked quite well. :)

I disagree that it was done quite well. The evidence that so many people asked and reasked questions that were in the README over and over again, and that the README was rarely referenced when repetitive questions were asked suggests we can do better. Any information not in the first post of the README thread is going to get ignored by the rapid newbie posters, and I suggest that a long README thread will get less notice than a single README post.

Regardless of my opinions, the mods need to get sticky power ASAP. :)

Back