FailOverflow's recent WiiU hacking lecture..

Finally had time today to watch it all the way through. I completely agree with fail0verflow for sort of halting the project. They already have their own code running on the hardware, so why continue. They do not care about software launching from inside the OS. If they continue to exploit the console and publish a way to execute homebrew from inside the OS, they are afraid it will only lead piracy. The WiiU has very unique hardware, from what they are saying, very few people are interested in coding for the machine as a hobby.

When the good guys win, the customers are the only ones who get shafted with longer boot up times. You wouldn't sit through that if you had a choice, go download a car instead...

Last edited by a moderator:
someone wonna give a summery of the video? im interested, but not an hour long video interested

Compared to wii, the U has additional security measures, however N goofed at several places, so fail0verflow were able to dump secret bootloaders and private keys. This allows them to run custom code in wii and *U modes.

To run homebrew in wiiU mode, large amount of work is needed for libraries and stuff, perhaps even porting Linux to it to make app porting easier. However they lost interest and nobody trustworthy in the community wants to step up and do the work (why is that sounding so familiar?). They concluded that in this age of seas of open Android and other systems (like Steambox), and locked consoles becoming ever-so-complex, it's just not feasible to do homebrew on locked systems at all any more. They don't want to help pirates so they keep the hacks and keys to themselves, except information on how to boot extra CPU cores in wii mode, which they have already published.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I could run HBC in *U mode, so could play the old emus on the tablet controller. Often I don't get control of my own telly and playing Wii U games on the tablet controller is great.

I d/l the remake of Exitebike recently but that is on Wii Mode WiiWare, so you cannot play on tablet controller, you have to view it on the telly screen which is a shame.

I'd prefer if that could be sorted somehow, so old wiiWare titles can be played off-telly... Doubt that will happen though especially from an update from Nintendo themselves

Right they also said they could not get the U hardware going while in wii mode, it seems to be locked out. It would have allowed existing wii homebrew to be expanded with U capabilities, but apparently it can't be done because of hardware design.

Back