Fenix / Div ... Erm, A Bit Confused ...

T

TelcoLou

I'm reading through an excellent DIV guide, but it seems geard toward Windows.

What exactly is the connection to DIV and/or Fenix? I mean, I got "hello world!" to work on the GP32 (thanks to EvilDragon's outstanding tutorial) .. would this same code run in windows, if I say, used a Windows compiler? Also, for an example, would:

Code:
PLAY_SOUND

actually play a music file on the GP32? (I think it wouldn't)

If the language supports the function then yes it would work, as long as whatever language you are programming in already has that function defined either internally or manually by the programmer then it will work.

B) wildo2ne

Translated from Fenix webpage:
Fenix is the name of a GNU project destined to create a free compiler for a derived language of which in his day Hammer Technologies created for the development of videogames with his integrated environment DIV.
Fenix started as a free alternative for DIV developers that overcomes its limitations (the original Div ran on MS-DOS and 8-bit color mode; anyways the publisher, Hammer Technologies, bankrupted). Div was very popular here in Spain for its ease of use.

Fenix is based on SDL, so it can be ported to any platform that runs SDL too.

And to play a MOD or a MIDI you must use PLAY_SONG function, not PLAY_SOUND.

Greetings

It's like tekken 3(Div) and Tekken Tag Tournament (Fenix).
All your combos from Tekken 3 works on TTT? Not all but a lot of them yes. And you have new combos and moves improved.
:p

Ahhhh!

Thank you all so much for the replies. I get it now.

(now, off to code....)

It's like tekken 3(Div) and Tekken Tag Tournament (Fenix).
All your combos from Tekken 3 works on TTT? Not all but a lot of them yes. And you have new combos and moves improved.
:p
hey was wondering if you can send me the compiler information about the tekken project you discovered. Im designing a game of my own using lightwave 8 & maya 3d.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it was said in a metaphorical sense :)

If you would want to make some sort of Tekken Fenix can very well be used, but you would have to step back to 2D(well, you can always pre-render stuff). When you pre-render I doubt you can find a language better suited for a game like that :). Anyway, welcome here, read up a bit and try Fenix, I'm sure you'll like it.

Translated from Fenix webpage:
Fenix is the name of a GNU project destined to create a free compiler for a derived language of which in his day Hammer Technologies created for the development of videogames with his integrated environment DIV.
Fenix started as a free alternative for DIV developers that overcomes its limitations (the original Div ran on MS-DOS and 8-bit color mode; anyways the publisher, Hammer Technologies, bankrupted). Div was very popular here in Spain for its ease of use.

Fenix is based on SDL, so it can be ported to any platform that runs SDL too.

And to play a MOD or a MIDI you must use PLAY_SONG function, not PLAY_SOUND.

Greetings

And to play wavs, you'd have to use play_wav rather than sound. I've converted a number of DIV games to Fenix for play on the Dreamcast and also had to convert the PCMs used for DIV to wavs using Goldwave.

There are more differences, such as the way Fenix initializes structures, but the post describing it on the DIV-Arena Fenix board (as well as the whole of div-arena.com) is gone :(

Last edited by a moderator:
That was in metaphorical sense!!! :)
Maybe my english is just too bad... jejejeje :rolleyes:

Btw: Post resurrection +1!

Back