Fenix Problem!

Topcat

Website
www.audiosonic.dk
I tried to play around a little with Fenix today... no luck !!
Although i have done scipt things before, i can't seem to
get the structure right.. the places i found command reference
at did not have any examples, and the PRG files i downloaded
is far too complex for me now :blink: anyway, nothing i
have done will compile.. i get an errormsg about having
too many end's or something

.. can anyone provide me with a straight simple 'hello world!'
type of codesnippet/script ??

Hi!
I will try to help you but think that i've started to learn fenix aswell... and my english is poor.

First think yo need the compiler & "interpreter" for PC & Gp32. Get it HERE!

Second think, you need a IDE like Firebird to make easy to compose the code. Get it Here

Third, you need a FPG maker (FPG are archives with all of your grapichs & sprites). Get it HERE! The IDE Firebird has built in a FPG maker but is too bad. Use FPG edit instance.

Four, download this four tutorial-programs by OscarBraindead from HERE!. They are basic programs (show a sprite & let you move, etc...). They are good for beginers. The bad part (for you :D ) is that the explanations are in Spanish. HERE! some more examples.

TIPS:
1) Don't use FIREBIRD for compile your programs (it has some rare bugs) <_< . Use Firebird as debugger but if firebird says that your program has no errors and only black screen appears... use comand line for complile (or drag your program.prg on FXC.exe and a program.dcb (executable of you game) will appear if there are not errors.

2) Download HERE! Fenix help file. It's in spanish (maybe in english too). It has all funcions and key word for FENIX with definitions and examples. A must have for newbes.

3) "too meny end": You need to put a END in some cases. Example: Begin.......END IF.......END. While......END. Loop........END etc...
Try to delete the END of the line what firebird complains....

If you post your code i can try to give you some advice.

Byes!

PD: It's hard to start but easy to master

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm... the Firebird looks cool, but i can't understand a single word
in spanish :blink: the help file is also not much good !!
..but i found a nice command reference in english

I just try to write a simple line on the screen, like this
Code:
write (0,10,10,4,"hello world!");
Thats the only line i have for now :)

Code:
Program example_write;

Begin
    write(0, 160, 100, 4, "SAMPLE TEXT: Hello World!");
    write(0, 0, 0, 0, "UP LEFT");
    write(0, 320, 200, 8, "DOWN RIGHT");

Loop
        Frame; 
        If(key(_esc)) Break; End //this loop keeps the program running until you press ESC KEY
    End
End

This must work in your PC. For GP32 version you must set up some GFX & resolutions instructions but now i have no time sorry. :D

I have some problems with Fenix too... I use the translated Fenix Desktop and although I have already managed to find a little information that, as I thought, would allow me to start a little coding, I have this unnerving problem that whenever I want to execute something, I get the error "Executable Image is not a supported type". What exactly do I have to do? I didn't even use images, just tried a simple write command, similar to the one Hokutoy did.

Then, well, basically everything I found is spanish. So I read the only beginner tutorial available on Flamingbird (http://www.flamingbird.com/public_html/staticpages/index.php?page=20030823121629101 ) but I have no idea what he says. "First off, make your level". Well. How exactly? Remember, I just started about an hour or two ago and it's rather hard to find good english material ;)

I have this unnerving problem that whenever I want to execute something, I get the error "Executable Image is not a supported type". What exactly do I have to do? I didn't even use images, just tried a simple write command, similar to the one Hokutoy did.

That's a problem with the version of Fenix used for the GP32 and the version of Fenix Desktop being incompatible (Moogle also wrote this in his little tutorial)
You can't execute directly from Fenix Desktop, you can only compile.

However, you can run it directly from the command line using "fxi filename.dcb"

Last edited:
Just found this topic over at www.dcemu.co.uk (from Merkoth)

-----------------
hi guys, just two comments:

1) you can check a wiki based documentation at http://www.flamingbird.com/public_html/ewiki/index.php

2) if you know Firebird (the best fenix ide IMHO) you'll glad to know that Firebird2 has been under development for a while, AND IT'S 100% IN ENGLISH.
no, we (the FB2 Team) haven't gone mad, it's just that there are more spanish spoken guys that know english than english spokers that can read spanish...
we'll be releasing the first beta soon

--------------

Yeeha, the first English IDE is coming up soon :)
Nice :)

I'll misuse this thread again...

Is there any way to have Fenix execute an operation on button up? Well, maybe I'll explain my problem.
I have really NO idea where to get a beginner's tutorial, so I am learning everything from reading spanish programs and guessing quite a lot <_< Now I managed to write a program that displays text and on the push of a button wipes that text off and writes something else. I am really proud :D Then, after some trial, cursing and error I also got the same to work with pictures. Woohoo! However, Fenix only recognizes that the button is down and immideatly skips to the next picture until I release the button. This is my code for the text display thing which basically suffers the same problem:

Code:
Program Raven;

Begin
   write(0, 0, 0, 0, "Press A to read ""The Raven""");

Loop
       Frame;
       If(key(_control)) Break; End
   End

delete_text(0);
   write(0, 0, 0, 0, "Once, upon a midnight dreary");
   write(0, 0, 10, 0, "While I pondered, weak and weary");
   write(0, 0, 20, 0, "Over many a-quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore");
   write(0, 0, 30, 0, "While I nodded, nearly napping");
   write(0, 0, 40, 0, "Suddenly there came a tapping");
   write(0, 0, 50, 0, "As If someone gently rapping");
   write(0, 0, 60, 0, "Rapping at my chamber door");
   write(0, 0, 70, 0, "Tis some visitor, I muttered, tapping at my chamber door");
   write(0, 0, 80, 0, "Only this, and nothing more...");
   write(0, 0, 120, 0, """A"" to end the program and reboot");

Loop
       Frame;
   End

End

(By the way, I took the Pause thingy from Hokutoy - let's give credit where credit is due ;))
In this case I could simply change the button, but I don't want to do this. I simply want to use A to jump to the next block of text and then, after presing A a second time, to exit the program, being able to hold down A without it ending. Is there a way to accomplish that?

Man, we really need some good english beginner tutorials and a complete documentation of all the commands.... this language is quite simple to understand, I am sure more people would start if getting started actually was any easier...

Sorry for the delay :rolleyes:

Try this code, it will work as you wish... maybe there are some better ways but... i'm still learning Fenix aswell :)
If you need any coments just say it
Code:
Program Raven;  
Global 
    Int pushed=1; //NEW

Begin 
      write(0, 0, 0, 0, "Press A to read ""The Raven""");

Loop
      Frame;
  End

delete_text(0);
  write(0, 0, 0, 0, "Once, upon a midnight dreary");
  write(0, 0, 10, 0, "While I pondered, weak and weary");
  write(0, 0, 20, 0, "Over many a-quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore");
  write(0, 0, 30, 0, "While I nodded, nearly napping");
  write(0, 0, 40, 0, "Suddenly there came a tapping");
  write(0, 0, 50, 0, "As If someone gently rapping");
  write(0, 0, 60, 0, "Rapping at my chamber door");
  write(0, 0, 70, 0, "Tis some visitor, I muttered, tapping at my chamber door");
  write(0, 0, 80, 0, "Only this, and nothing more...");
  write(0, 0, 120, 0, """A"" to end the program and reboot");

Loop
      Frame; 
      If(NOT key(_control)) pushed=0;End //NEW: When key control is not pushed,  pushed is equal to 0
      If(key(_control) AND pushed==0) Break; End //NEW: ADD conditional. To work, control key must be pushed &  pushed must be equal to 0
  End

End

PD: A Fenix subforum will be very nice ;)

Thanks a lot, but I have already worked out something very similar ;)

Yeah, a Fenix subforum would be nice. Would be even nicer if there was any english documentation, but a subforum would be a lot easier :lol:

Can you post your code, please?
More ways, better.

If you have any other problem just ask. I'm not a guru in fenix, but i will try to help anyone because Fenix is "really easy" & powerfull. Anyone can do things, and that will keep gp32 live longer.

Byes

Back