Firmware 1.2.1 Mplayer Problems

dave19711998

Still Fresh
I wonder if anyone can help me. I installed the 1.2.1 firmware and since then my avi file are currupted, where as previous to upgrading they worked.

I can't seemed to find a uninstall function for the firmware and any help would be appreciated, as i don't know much about the console yet.

uninstall would be to reflash it with an older firmware. you can get em' in the archive.

As for corruption, you installed the patch that came with it right?

if you did, make sure you videos are encoded correctly. sometimes a video will work on one system, but not another - with the exact same codec. reencoding with a consistent codec sometimes helps.

Do you have a 2 GB SD Card ?

If so, only TOSHIBA 2 GB SD Card will work correctly with firmware 1.2.1 (as stated by GPH).

You'll need to downgrade to the 1.2 version of the firmware if you have a 2 GB SD Card other than the TOSHIBA brand.

- Benoit

er... i have a san disk 256... works fine with 1.2.1. maybe its the size, i dunno, w/e. my 2 cents.

er... i have a san disk 256... works fine with 1.2.1. maybe its the size, i dunno, w/e. my 2 cents.

I think it was the firmware. I reverted back to the 1.0.1 version.

As for the curruption I spoke about. The screen had moved a centermeter down and there were diagonal lines, similar to when a tv or video wasn't properly tuned in. What ever the new firmware did to mplayer seemed to solved by using the original firmware that came with the machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
just so its really clear, the firmware upgrades have TWO steps.. one, boot with the gp2xkernel.img file on the SD card, watch the "Firmware Upgrading" screen for a minute, then two, run the patchBLAHBLAH.gpu Utility and watch the "Patching Firmware" screen for a minute (or two) ..

If you don't do the second step - that is, you only upgrade your kernel - the GP2X will boot and work just fine, except video playback will suck. If you do the second step without having done the first step, everything will suck. But if you do both steps one after the other, successfully and without glitch, then all will be smooth and dandy ..

I've done the upgrade on both my GP2X's now, and they're both running very well .. in fact, I've stopped worrying about 'issues' with the GP2X and now just use it as its intended .. video playback, audio, development, all the games i could possibly want, etc.

just so its really clear, the firmware upgrades have TWO steps.. one, boot with the gp2xkernel.img file on the SD card, watch the "Firmware Upgrading" screen for a minute, then two, run the patchBLAHBLAH.gpu Utility and watch the "Patching Firmware" screen for a minute (or two) ..

If you don't do the second step - that is, you only upgrade your kernel - the GP2X will boot and work just fine, except video playback will suck. If you do the second step without having done the first step, everything will suck. But if you do both steps one after the other, successfully and without glitch, then all will be smooth and dandy ..

I've done the upgrade on both my GP2X's now, and they're both running very well .. in fact, I've stopped worrying about 'issues' with the GP2X and now just use it as its intended .. video playback, audio, development, all the games i could possibly want, etc.
cheers dude. I am a nubie, who doesn't even know how to program and no idea about installing the patch as well as the firmware.

I'll give it a go now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back