Firmware: Which One's Best, Most Stable?

When is the official firmware going to come out of beta stage to a full release? gp32_console gp32_console

Akuma no Houkon posted on Apr 25 2004 at 08:34 PM said:
mr.spiv posted on Apr 25 2004 at 03:11 PM said:
craigix posted on Apr 25 2004 at 11:59 AM said:
Well we have flashed hundreds to MFW and never had one just die on us...

If it had problems we would get them back all the time surely?

-Craig

www.gbax.com
I had 3-4 of these "stories/cases".. low percentage out of all sold GP32s in Europe but can happen. The latest case was Declaration's GP32, which he sent to Rob. Later Rob said the HW was ok but the FW had screwed up. Reflash brought it back. I have no explanation to this :blink:
My point exactally, it DOES happen, it may be to a small percentage, but it does happen, and I dont want to be one of those that it happens to. No thank you. I have bad luck when it comes down to things like that.
When it does happen are you basically screwed or can it be fixed?

Last edited by a moderator:
kknd_cf posted on Apr 28 2004 at 05:41 PM said:

-Craig

www.gbax.com
I had 3-4 of these "stories/cases".. low percentage out of all sold GP32s in Europe but can happen. The latest case was Declaration's GP32, which he sent to Rob. Later Rob said the HW was ok but the FW had screwed up. Reflash brought it back. I have no explanation to this :blink:
My point exactally, it DOES happen, it may be to a small percentage, but it does happen, and I dont want to be one of those that it happens to. No thank you. I have bad luck when it comes down to things like that.
You are pretty much SOL your GP32 becomes useless. It can be fixed but you will need to build a JTAG cable to download the Bios from a PC, so bone up on your electronics and soldering skills.

DaveC posted on Apr 28 2004 at 05:46 PM said:
kknd_cf posted on Apr 28 2004 at 05:41 PM said:

-Craig

www.gbax.com
You are pretty much SOL your GP32 becomes useless. It can be fixed but you will need to build a JTAG cable to download the Bios from a PC, so bone up on your electronics and soldering skills.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. That's scary.

Which Firmware writes to the internal EEPROM, and when do they do it? I want to avoid this as I imagine it is the source of flashes "going bad" over time.

Just for the say.

Ive had mr.spivs multiFW for almost a year now. No problems!

MultiFW2/Pacrom does, but the EEPROM is nothing to do with your flash memory. It's a completely different chip, with it's own approx 10,000 erase/write cycles. So this is not why the flash "goes bad". It's for firmware selection default on bootup (MultiFW2), and default application (Pacrom).

Back